Planters' Mr. Peanut Is Dead, And Twitter Is Happy

Planters’ Mr. Peanut Is Officially Dead At 104, And People On Twitter Are Anything But Salty

R.I.P. to the most fashionable nut in history.

711

After 104 years of serving the peanut community, our favorite best-dressed peanut has died.

Planters confirmed its spokesnut's death in a Tweet that read: "It is with heavy hearts that we confirm that Mr. Peanut has died at 104. In the ultimate selfless act, he sacrificed himself to save his friends when they needed him most."

Yes, apparently Mr. Peanut did not die of natural causes, despite his old age.

Instead, the nutty nut sacrificed himself to save his friends, actors Matt Walsh and Wesley Snipes, during a road trip gone wrong to the Super Bowl.

Mr. Peanut had no choice but to swerve off-road when an armadillo suddenly appeared in the middle of the street, causing his NUTmobile to fall off a cliff and forcing him and his friends to cling to a branch for survival. Just as the branch was about to break, Mr. Peanut saved his friends by jumping to his death, allowing his two palls to climb to safety.

I'm not making this stuff up, you can find the full video of Mr. Peanut's death on YouTube - the stuff people post online these days, am I right??

Despite Mr. Peanut's iconic stature in the nut world, Twitter users weren't too sad to see him gone. Many people were overjoyed to see the "tyrant peanut" who was often seen as "stuck-up" and "part of the 1 percent" meet his impending doom.

Here are just a few Tweets of the Tweetosphere that defamed Mr. Peanut following his death:

You do you, Tom.

This one was particularly brutal.

Is it a good day Thomas, is it??

Want to show your support for Mr. Peanut and defend his honor against these bullies? Simply pay your respects by Tweeting your condolences followed by the hashtag #RIPeanut.

You can also mourn the tophat-clad nut by tuning into the third quarter of the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 2 for an in-game commercial featuring Mr. Peanut's funeral.

In the meantime, Planters wants you to keep Mr. Peanut's spirit alive by searching for his NUTmobile. Anyone who spots the vehicle before Super Bowl Sunday will receive a pin celebrating Mr. Peanut's life.

Funny, because we thought the NUTmobile was destroyed during Mr. Peanut's fatal accident? Things aren't adding up...

We'll have to wait until the big game to find out if America's favorite nut is dead for real, or if this is all part of a scheme by the larger nut community...The suspense is driving me nuts.