7 Pennsylvania Road Trips Destination Ideas That Will Cure That Summertime Sadness

Pennsylvania isn't all just Amish country, you know.

108
Public Domain Image

Pennsylvania!

If you live here, especially in the suburbs or rural areas away from the fun of big cities, you know it can get a little boring. When school gets out this summer, ditch the AC comfort of your house for a little bit and grab the keys. Pack some snacks, pile in and have fun!

Here are seven different road trips destinations (links included!) to cure your summertime sadness!

1. See stars at Cherry Springs State Park!

Hailed as “the darkest place East of the Mississippi,” the views you’ll be seeing at night will make you think you landed smack dab in the middle of nowhere. However, located in Coudersport, PA, Cherry Springs State Park is not far from civilization and is south of Erie.

You can camp for pretty cheap right under the Milky Way, but if you’re not really into the whole rustic thing (Cherry Springs doesn’t have bathrooms), Coudersport is home to hotels and cute niche B&B’s. Or, when you’re done marveling, you can hop right back in your car and head home.

2. Get your heart racing at the Franklin Institute!

A kid-friendly science museum centered in Philadelphia, the Franklin Institute has something for everyone. Harboring an observatory, a sky bike (yes, that’s a bike stories above the sky), the Franklin Institute also has a model human heart you can walk through and learn all about each chamber. After you’re done exploring, maybe drive over to a local cheesesteak restaurant and let Philly show you what a cheesesteak really is.

3. Get your Isle-and on at Presque Isle State Park!

Taking a day trip to Presque Isle may very well be as close as you can get to a beach without driving over to New Jersey. With 13 beaches for swimming, 21 miles of recreational trails and even a lighthouse, you might even be able to convince yourself you went “down the shore.” Pack yourself and your friends a picnic, grab a bathing suit and spend the day relaxing on the sand! Or hiking, if that’s more your style.

4. Spook yourself at Eastern State Penitentiary!

Anyone who knows anything about the paranormal could likely tell you about the Eastern State Penitentiary. Also located in Philadelphia, the Eastern State Penitentiary runs historical tours of the creepy, gothic-style building. Many paranormal hunting shows have covered the “ESP,” as the Penitentiary has a long history of deaths and even murders. Some even claim the halls hold vengeful spirits!

Either way, a road trip out could truly be a highlight of your summer. After you're done, you could always hit some other local hotspots, like the King of Prussia Mall, to relieve some of that stress.

5. A trip to Gettysburg might be the perfect stop for history buffs!

Known mostly for the three-day battle that raged in the town during the Civil War, Gettysburg and its battlefield is a historical hotspot. Thriving with tours and monuments, a stop here could have you imagining the charge of the troops on the field! Hop in your car and relive history! Tell me that’s not a history buff’s dream.

6. Step out of "The Office" — try a taste of Broadway!

Scranton, PA, has more to offer than just Michael Scott’s antics. The Scranton Cultural Center boasts bringing Broadway shows right to PA, without the drive off to New York! (We all know the subways can be SUCH a hassle.) Beautiful — The Carole King Musical has a run from May 8 - 13.

Scranton is also home to Montage Mountain, a concert venue and waterpark. Take a drive to Scranton, spend your day relaxing in the wave pool, then spend your night enjoying the music, whether it be Carole King or Vans Warped Tour (July 26).

And of course, if you really do love "The Office" that much, Poor Richard’s Pub is real, located inside a bowling alley and it's known for some pretty good wings. 21+, of course.

7. Fall in love with Bushkill Falls!

Called “the Niagara of Pennsylvania,” Bushkill Falls is located in the Pocono Mountains. Pack a lunch, (and water!), take a hike on the network of trails, see the many waterfalls and be totally amazed by the natural wonders Pennsylvania holds.

Pennsylvania is overflowing with history, charming countrysides, waterholes and miles of forest for you to explore! Although this article only covered seven ideas, there are many more trips to take to make this summer THE summer to end all summers.