Places To Go In The Kennebec Valley

Places To Go In The Kennebec Valley

What even is the Kennebec Valley?

104
Places To Go In The Kennebec Valley
Panaramio

Stretching from the Canadian border in Jackman to Gardiner, the Kennebec Valley is an area that surrounds the Kennebec River. The Kennebec River is 168 miles long, starting at Moosehead Lake and Indian Pond and eventually emptying into the Gulf of Maine near Bath. The Kennebec Valley covers nearly 5000 square miles of land in Maine. The Valley features many beautiful small towns and even a couple “big” cities.

I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time growing up in the Kennebec Valley. I first moved to Waterville, one of the bigger towns in the Valley, when I was 7 years old. Waterville was a big change from the farm town I had spent the first years of my life in. It had houses all over and there were few rolling fields speckled with cows or horses. There wasn’t stretches of woods all around me anymore. It wasn’t a place I was unfamiliar with though as my grandmother lived there and I spent countless days with her walking downtown and getting breakfast at our favorite restaurant. During my stay in the Kennebec Valley, I found several hidden treasures or even not so hidden treasures from great restaurants to amazing rafting companies that are worth sharing with everyone.

Ming Lee in Waterville, Maine

How fitting it seems to start with my absolute favorite restaurant. Ming Lee is a small chinese restaurant located at 365 Main Street in Waterville. The atmosphere is comforting. The food is outstanding. The people are friendly. The owner is constantly making her way around the restaurant to be sure that every guest is satisfied with the food they were served and the service they received.

I always order the same exact meal so I’m not the best person to recommend a wide variety of food. However, the pork fried rice is hands-down an absolute must to include in your order. I have never been disappointed with the flavor and quality of the food I’ve been served. To help spark some ideas about the food, I’ve asked a few fellow Ming Lee’s enthusiasts to suggest dishes for you to try!

Amber of Waterville says “I order the D6 which is beef teriyaki, crab rangoons, chicken fingers and pork fried rice. I like it(Ming Lee’s) because it’s a lot of food for the price you pay and it’s all the things I like all in one package!”

West Forks

This small town is located in Western Maine right along the Kennebec River. It’s incredibly easy to find as it’s perched right on route 201. Small town doesn’t begin to describe the size of West Forks though. This town is a plantation with a grand total of 47 people living in the area. That, however, doesn’t stop the area from thriving. There are so many different things you can do here.

My favorite part of West Forks is the white water rafting. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a timid person and that anything extreme is way out of my comfort zone. However, I love white water rafting on the Kennebec river. There are several rafting companies lined along 201, but my favorite is Magic Falls rafting company right in West Forks. The guides always make trips entertaining. My first trip down the river was on a rainy day where only my friends, their dad and I were going. Our raft guide was ready to entertain four teenagers and he made the trip incredible. My second trip down the river our instructor taught us our to catch deer flies with our bare hands to stop them from biting.

This area also features miles upon miles of snowmobile trails winding through the woods from Jackman to Rockwood to Bingham and back to West Forks! This was always one of my favorite places to go snowmobiling with my dad when I was younger.

Belgrade Lakes Region

http://belgradelakesmaine.com/index.html

This is a major tourist spot in Central Maine about 10 miles north of Augusta. The small town of Belgrade Lakes is always swarmed with people enjoying the small shops and beautiful view of the lakes surrounding the area. There are seven different lakes/ponds in this region. North Pond, East Pond, Great Pond, Salmon Lake, Messalonskee Lake, McGrath Pond and Long Pond are all located right in the area. There are so many opportunities to find fun things to do in this region of Maine. From snowmobiling and ice fishing in the winter, to boating and hiking in the summer and even just enjoying the scenery year round.

Day’s Store in Belgrade Lakes is always busy whenever I drive through the town. You can order food here, buy bait for fishing, fill your car or other recreational vehicles with gas and even get your fishing license here.

Maine International Film Festival(MIFF)

http://www.miff.org/

This once a year, ten day long event happens in mid-July in Waterville. Films are shown at both the Waterville Opera House as well as Railroad Square cinema. Though it has already happened this year, MIFF is planning for next years. July 14th to the 23rd will be the 20th anniversary of the Maine International Film Festival.

I first went to this event in a few years back after I had been an extra, an incredibly small extra, in a film made by a local director. The film was called The Eighteenth hour and other than that I can’t really remember what it was about. I also can’t remember if it was actually a good movie(I don’t think it was, but that doesn’t matter). However my name was in the credits and that was incredibly exciting to me! My favorite part of the festival is that some years they will paint the crosswalks to look like film reels and it changes how colorful downtown Waterville is for a few weeks.

Old Fort Western

http://www.oldfortwestern.org/

This is the oldest standing fort east of the Mississippi river and it is one of that nation’s national landmarks! This quaint fort sits on the shores of the Kennebec River in Augusta, Maine. It was first built in 1754. It was used as a storage facility for food and supplies going to and from Fort Halifax which sits on the shores of the Kennebec river in Winslow, Maine.

I first went to Fort Western in grade school for a field trip. I remember watching the men using the working forgery to shape many metal tools and weapons. There was also a working kitchen to demonstrate the types of meals people would have had back when the fort was up and running.

Fort Western can be visited today and can be found at 16 Cony Street in Augusta.

Big G’s Deli

http://big-g-s-deli.com/index.shtml

Another one of my favorite places to eat in the Kennebec Valley is Big G’s. Big G’s specializes in out of this world sandwiches. All the sandwiches feature unique names such as the Mad Max(a spicy roast beef sandwich), the Miles Standwich(a thanksgiving dinner sandwich) and the Richard Simmons( a tuna sandwich with an array of veggies). These come in two sizes, half and whole. Let me tell you that a half a sandwich is usually big enough to satisfy you!

Big G’s also features a breakfast menu in the morning that features giant pancakes, crispy bacon and even french toast made with the same huge bread that makes up their sandwiches. Be warned though- big G’s is a little pricey and they do not accept credit or debits cards. Though if you forget that before getting there, they have conveniently stationed an ATM right by the door!

Fall Foliage

One of the best things about Maine as a whole is the beautiful fall foliage that takes over the woods of the state. Many people will travel up to Maine just for the foliage! The foliage along route 201 which happens to wind through the Kennebec Valley is an amazing sight that I wish more people could experience. Winding along the twisty roads through Moscow and Caratunk really brings visitors into the woods and gives them the best view of the foliage. Going through West Forks and all the way to Jackman can provide visitors with even more stunning

My first experience of the fall foliage along route 201 was right after I got my driver’s permit. My dad put me in the driver’s seat of his truck and told me to drive. I drove all the way from Belgrade right to Jackman. It was one of the first times I’d ever driven the truck and it was one of the best times I’d ever had driving. The roads were quiet and the leaves were shades of red and orange. I really recommend everyone take the opportunity to witness something so beautiful.

Overall, the Kennebec Valley is an amazing place to visit with such a variety of things to do and places to see. I was fortunate enough to see a lot of the spectacular parts of this beautiful strip of land in Maine.