Places and Places

Places and Places

It happens a lot.

57
Places and Places
https://www.dreamstime.com/vintage-ancient-luggage-suitcases-ancient-travel-concept-shabby-background-vintage-ancient-luggage-suitcases-ancient-shabby-image101999227

Don't you just hate it whenever you find a new hobby or skill to master, and it becomes your greatest passion, only for that passion to burn out after, like, 3 weeks? During which you spent more time imagining the destination than going through the journey of doing the actual mastering? And you think all this time that you finally found it: your true purpose, your "thing", your "quirk" that sets you apart from everyone else--yes, I'm keeping the My Hero Academia reference here.

This new thing could practically be anything, from learning a new language (French), or a new way of creating art (animation), or a sport (badminton), etc., etc., etc., etc. These serendipitous opportunities come straight out of nowhere, and you grab on tight for the ride, until the ride no longer becomes interesting, and your grip and motivation towards this new skill weakens. When that happens, the mind becomes restless again, searching for new things to try. Leaving whatever projects you were making behind.

When would this end?

Anyway, it's not ideal, but it's real for many people, including myself. So, I've created a poem based on this phenomenon of endless experimentation, and the process of trying to find yourself within the hobbies and the novice-level skills that we accumulate over time. To me, it takes the form of an endless wanderer, who finds it impossible to settle in one place, when a better someplace is always in sight.

The poem is called "Places and Places". I hope you like it.

I seem to go

Places to places

Never settling down

Never settling down

My mind is flying

To the deserts beyond

Under the jeweled skies

The jeweled skies

I don't have a destination

I just go where my feet wants

And thus I wander

And thus I wander

Endlessly

As everyone else around me

Builds a nest of their own

And still I wander

And still I wander

It's only natural for me

To see the brighter grass

So I pack up my things

My forgotten things

I get excited

Too ready to leave

It is somewhere new

Where I could start anew

"This is my life!"

I say out loud

I finally found my calling

I finally found my calling

It's this, this thing!

I swear I'll never part from it

I'll never stop

I'll never stop

When I go down in history

When people speak my name

This thing will blow their minds

Will blow all their minds

Is this what I was looking for?

Can I please settle down?

Oh, can't you imagine?

Can you imagine?

Then, just like chewing gum

The flavor gets stale

The flower dies too soon

Oh, it died too soon

I created nothing good

Just a string of bad attempts

Made though, with love

Made with love

I thought I found myself

My reason, for being alive

Now I have to wander, again

I have to wander, again

But I'll come back one day

I can't say when

Maybe then I'll finish

Maybe then I'll finish

My mind is always flying

Never settling down

Places and places

Places and places

Places and places

Places and places