A Pittsburgh Girl's Trip to the Cleveland Zoo

Read about the differences I saw between the Pittsburgh Zoo and Cleveland Zoo and about both of their unique offerings!

640
Kristen Franks

The Cleveland Zoo has other very cool exhibits. Its Rainforest building has a giant waterfall in the entryway. It has some very unique animals like a giant anteater, a capybara, and a little baby orangutan. It even had an exhibit that had a lifelike indoor rainstorm. Cleveland also has a very large elephant exhibit with wonderful views! You can see the elephants up close and are able to get really incredible pictures.

On the other hand, Pittsburgh’s PPG Aquarium and the aquatic area is much larger and more impressive than Cleveland’s-- which shares space with the monkey house. The PPG Aquarium contains big sharks, polar bears, sea otters, penguins, and a variety of fish. The Aquarium is crafted so that you can walk under large glass archways under aquatic animals’ tanks. I remember walking under a glass arch and seeing a polar bear swimming above me. If you are more into the aquarium and aquatic exhibits, then the Pittsburgh Zoo is for you!

Also, the Pittsburgh Zoo seems like a better fit for small children. The zoo is more compact for walking, and it also has unbeatable playgrounds in two locations. It has a spider web rope climb complete with really tall slides, and another playground with a maze mole tunnel. Walking with a stroller or wagon is more manageable at the Pittsburgh Zoo versus the Cleveland Zoo. The Cleveland Zoo has multiple smaller playgrounds but nothing that compares with the spider web rope climb at the Pittsburgh Zoo.

In conclusion, both the Cleveland Zoo and the Pittsburgh Zoo are really fantastic! I was so happy to be able to experience another zoo and see some of the differences from my home zoo. Both zoos have different unique offerings and are both great for children (although Pittsburgh is much easier on the legs). Seeing koalas--one of my favorite animals--for the first time in real life at the Cleveland Zoo was really special. But, Pittsburgh will always have a place in my heart! I recommend making a trip to see both if you ever have the time or are in the region; it is definitely worth the drive!