Pinterest, a way to discover a genuine you!

how Pinterest can tell more about your personality than other social media platforms

61

We tend to associate technology with advancement, but how is technology negatively affecting our well being? In my opinion, apps like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter promote competition amongst individuals and increase levels of insecurity. Multiple studies have drawn links between social media and anxiety, depression, as well as lack of sleep. Social media can be a place to keep in touch with friends, build communities, and promote social justice, but it can also be a place that contributes negatively to one's mental health.

Pinterest has become one of my favorite apps to use as an alternative to Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. Pinterest is an app similar to Tik Tok that feeds me endless content of things I like to see. It allows me to consume content that is visually pleasing, aligns with my interests, and helps me gain some self-awareness.

I have created multiple different boards that act as categories for the things I like. I have a board for different pieces of artwork, apartments, and fashion inspo. My favorite board is one that I have titled "aesthetic." This board consists of graphic art, paintings, drawings, and photographs that are visually pleasing. I find that when I look at these images as a collection I can see that I have a multifaceted personality. I can be very feminine and flowery while also being dark and mysterious. My other social media profiles don't capture my personality in the same way. On other platforms, I am the center of attention. I think that is what I appreciate most about Pinterest. It allows me to think differently about myself compared to the other social media apps. Other apps like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter are places where I show myself off rather than showing off different aspects of my personality.

On Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat we post our favorite food, places we've been, who we are hanging out with. On Twitter, we talk about our likes and dislikes in a way that is supposed to be relatable to others. We sell an image of ourselves on these apps. With Pinterest I create different boards that integrate all the things I like and am interested in for myself. For my own personal satisfaction. I don't have to think about how many likes, comments, or retweets I will get.

As I look back at the boards I have created I can see the different moods and trends I have gone through. I can piece together an image of myself that is more telling than "look at me! I'm at the beach chilling with the homies." I think Pinterest can be used to increase one's self-awareness compared to other social media apps. It is less about how other people perceive you and more about how you perceive yourself.

It is important for me to pay attention to how I spend my time on social media and how everyday habits of scrolling through Twitter and Instagram affect me. I encourage using Pinterest as an alternative to other apps if you are trying to be cautious about how much you are consuming on social media. Not only can you customize your feed to your liking, you can look at yourself introspectively and discover how your interests and likes create a unique collection of you.