Pigs Can Be Friends, Not Just Food

Pigs Can Be Friends, Not Just Food

Some interesting facts that you may not have known about pigs.

75
Pigs Can Be Friends, Not Just Food
Streamvale.com

Pigs can sometimes get a bad rap.They aren’t typically thought of as cute, cuddly pets that you can snuggle in bed with unless the pig is Wilbur from Charlotte’s Web. Aside from them having a particularly pungent odor, they are thought of as dirty, fat animals that are best served as an Easter ham or hickory-smoked bacon. While I admit that I do enjoy a tasty BLT, I must say that I find pigs not only adorable, but smart and fascinating creatures. Here are some reasons why:

Everyone knows that pigs roll in the mud. But everyone may not know why. Even though pig skin is similar to a human’s, pigs do not have sweat glands. Pigs roll in the mud to keep cool, which is important, as pigs have sensitive skin. They can even get sunburned. This is why it’s important for pigs to have indoor shelter. When you look at a pig’s skin from afar, it looks almost human—soft and smooth. However, if you have ever had the opportunity to pet a pig, they are covered in coarse, wiry hair. (If you ever do pet a pig, expect clouds of dust, as they are covered in dried mud!).

Pigs actually like to be clean. As mentioned before, they roll in the mud to keep cool. But they like keeping their living areas cleaned. They make sure that their waste is kept separate from where they eat or sleep.

There’s a reason that pigs squeal. Like most animals, pigs use their squealing or grunting to communicate. Pigs are always in communication with each other. Piglets learn their mother’s voice by the time they are two weeks old. Their mothers even have a specific grunt for each piglet. And they don’t stop talking as they grow up! There have been twenty different vocalizations identified, all used for different purposes.

Pigs enjoy socializing. They like to snuggle together to keep warm or just to keep each other company. Sometimes, they even sleep nose-to-nose.

Pigs will eat anything--even human bones. This doesn’t mean that all pigs are out to eat human flesh, but it is important to be cautious, especially in a large group of pigs. When it comes to eating, there isn’t much that they won’t touch.

They walk on their tip-toes. Pigs have four toes, but they only walk on two.

There are so many different breeds. Of course, there are the pigs raised for meat such as the Berkshire, Chester White pig, and the Hampshire pig. But many people keep pigs as pets. These breeds fall under the miniature pigs—pot-bellied, Gottingen, Juliana, Choctaw, or Kunekune. Teacup pigs are also becoming popular to adopt.

A pig’s intelligence is comparable to dolphins, elephants, and apes. I’ve heard stories of pigs being able to open doors of their pens and the door to the refrigerator. There have also been reports of pigs saving people’s lives.

It’s not hard to see why pigs have been the star of many stories such as movies like Gordy or Babe, or the classic Charlotte’s Web. They are amazingly designed animals and have much more potential than becoming a ham sandwich. They are underestimated and unappreciated. Pigs are friends!