Photoshop Is More Common Than You'd Think, And That's OK

Moderation is key.

57

Before you get all heated up, hear me out.

I think that Photoshopping models, to some degree, is okay. Why? We have the resources necessary to do so. Models are just models. More often than not, models are not an accurate representation of the average consumer. Models simply showcase a product in the best light possible.

To put it in easier words, models convince consumers to buy a certain product. In doing so, their photos are often (read as: always) retouched through Photoshop or other digital photo-editing software. Usually, the retouching isn't even that apparent.

There might be a slight variation in color, or the beach in the background might be glistening more than usual. A model's lipstick might be enhanced, or her hair might be more luscious in the picture than in real life.

These edits simply showcase a product in the best way possible. As sucky as it sounds, Photoshopping clothing/models in these cases is just meant to catch a prospective consumer's eye and lure them into purchasing the product. It's the same concept as exaggerating in a commercial.

But, like I said, Photoshopping is only okay to an extent. Where does this extent lie, though? While this is very debatable, I think that the line that should not be crossed is Photoshopping a model's body. I don't think it's okay to slim down a waist or get rid of some thigh fat through Photoshop, especially when the model's body itself is the commodity of choice (most commonly in the case of fitness and gossip magazines).

In fact, I will unashamedly admit that I have Photshopped my own pictures. No, I didn't change the size of my waist nor did I slim down my thighs. No, I didn't add makeup to my face where it wasn't present before. All I really did was fix the lighting, get rid of some stray hairs, remove a couple pimples here and there, and add some minor filters.

With that said, I am 100% in support of being comfortable in your own skin. I admire Target's new bathing suit initiative and how they have pledged to avoid all Photoshopping of their models. Aerie has stepped up as well and has featured "real women" to showcase their products. All I'm saying is, there is nothing wrong with the occasional retouch.