Philadelphia's Chinese Lantern Festival Was Wrong

Philly's most magical event lights up trouble.

28
Historic Philadelphia

On June 12, Philadelphia's Franklin Square wrapped up the Chinese Lantern Festival in celebration of its 10th birthday season. I had the opportunity to attend this fascinating event a month ago and was truly amazed by the spectacle of it all; however, upon hearing more about it, I actually regret contributing to the event.

The concept

Throughout the park are a plethora of various handcrafted, illuminated lanterns created by masterful artisans who traveled from China to make this event possible. From pandas, lotuses, colorful archways and an impressive 200-foot-long dragon to act as the centerpiece, the lanterns brought ancient Chinese culture and traditions to light. With so many colors highlighted by beautiful lighting, the entire scene was a beautiful and magical event that presented many picture-perfect opportunities.

Additional attractions included the Dragon Beer Garden to give you a taste of culturally-inspired (and over-priced) food, a carousel and miniature golf course for kids, booths where you can purchase cultural crafts and performances that feature traditional Chinese art and practices (including dance, Kung Fu tea and plate spinning).

The expense

On a very basic level, the event isn't worth the lofty prices: $17 for adults, $12 for ages 3-17 and $15 for seniors. For families with even just two children, this can result in a big expense. Yes, the scenery was nice, but it was a pretty expensive fee just to walk around and look at some pretty lights. Once you pay the entrance fee, you still have to eat. The vendors had somewhat traditional food that ranged on the pricey side and certainly wouldn't leave me feeling full and satisfied, and Franklin Square's SquareBurger restaurant had Asian-inspired food that was also high-priced. Additionally, the cost of riding the carousel and playing miniature golf will add to your total. By the time you leave the park, the amount you spend will total to an extravagant sum.

The greater issue

Franklin Square is a public park. On any given day, residents and visitors are free to wander around and enjoy the park and it's amenities. However, with the Chinese Lantern Festival occupying this space, the park was closed off to the public at 5 p.m. from May 22 to June 12. People who would normally be able to access the park for free had to pay the exorbitant fees to enter it.

Ed Fischer and Dawn Praxon, a man and a woman who are residents of the neighborhood and regularly use Franklin Square, protested the Chinese lantern festival during its VIP preview party. In the middle of a speech, the two yelled, "Shame on you! Shame on you!" Later in an interview, Fischer explained, "They're selling it to the highest bidder. And Philadelphia and the park and Historic Philadelphia are getting minuscule money. They're basically selling it to a private company to put on a for-profit show." Praxon added, "I had no idea that the park was going to be locked, and I was going to be charged $17. I had no clue until I read the paper today. It was done in a kind of sneaky way."

The Chinese Lantern Festival should be purposed toward enlightening people about Chinese culture and traditions, not about making a profit. Rather than helping people discover the beauty of the culture, the high prices and unethical restriction prevent people from partaking in an event so beautiful and so close to their back doors.