How To Travel Safely With Your Pets, Since Apparently People Don't Know How To Do That Lately

It's not that hard.

59
Pxhere

By now I’m sure all of you have heard the story of the French Bulldog pup on the United Airlines flight. I’m also sure we are all outraged at the situation and its outcome. Why anyone would allow their pet to be placed in the overhead bin of an airplane is beyond me.

While I would love to talk about why this is wrong, I’m instead going to focus on how we can prevent this from happening again. I believe the best way to do so is by knowing HOW you should travel with your pets. If this situation has proven anything, it’s that people aren’t exactly aware of animal safety, so here are some tips that I believe will prevent future animal deaths.

First, you should ALWAYS have some kind of carrier for your animal. Even if it’s a bigger dog. Traveling can be stressful for your pets and having a place to eat, sleep, or just be away from other people can help them settle down a little bit. Plus, it can help the people around you if you’re taking some form of public transportation! Regardless of how you travel, always make sure your pet is comfortable should you bring it along.

Next, make sure your pet is put somewhere safe while traveling! Personally, I would recommend keeping it as close to you as possible so that way you can check on it every so often. Your pets need TLC while traveling too, and a familiar face nearby is the best option!

If you’re taking public transport and someone tries to take your pet to a different area, BE WARY. Especially if you’re flying, as the change in oxygen can be hard on animals. Ask an attendant where they’re going to take your pet and make sure your pet will be checked on by either you or a worker. If you feel uncomfortable with what they’re telling you, I recommend grabbing your things and getting off. Getting to your destination isn’t as important as the safety of your companion, and if a company can’t provide that safety, then there’s no reason to bother traveling with them.

In fact, if you’re bringing a pet along on your trip, I personally think it’s best to drive to your destination if possible. Yes, it’ll take longer, but there are so many advantages! You’ll get to see different areas up close (which is much cooler than getting an aerial view in my opinion), and your pet will get to appreciate the sites too! Plus, you have the freedom to choose when to let your pet stretch its legs, use the bathroom, or have food and water without potentially inconveniencing others! It’s honestly a win/win.

Now, I know this isn’t always an ideal alternative. Sometimes you need to travel long distances and can’t take time off to make a road trip out of it but still feel uncomfortable about flying with your pet.

Honestly, in those situations I would recommend not bringing your pet along. Either ask a friend or family member to pet sit for you until you get back, or take him or her to a pet hotel. Find the safest alternative to having to travel with an animal and use it to your advantage. Your pet may be sad that you’ve left it, but once you’re back all will be forgiven!

Another great tip for traveling with your pets is that if you’re going to fly, don’t fly with United Airlines. Enough said.

These tips did not come from any official list, and I’m not an animal expert, but as a pet owner I firmly believe that these tips should be common sense for traveling. I mean, another option is to stay home, but who wants to do that?

Even if you follow these simple tips, your pet’s traveling experience will be much more beneficial than being crammed in the overhead bin of an airplane only to face certain death.