My Pets Are The Reason I'm Still Sane So If You Don't Already Have One, Get A Dog...Or A Cat

Adopt a pet, I know you won’t regret it.

137
Karis Hench

I have always had pets growing up. From dogs to fish to cats to hamsters, I’ve probably had it at some point. I went through pet phases. I went through a hamster phase, which was pretty short-lived. I also went through a hermit crab phase. This phase lasted the longest; probably close to a year and a half. The pets that have always been my favorites though are my cats and dogs. Especially my dogs. I swear I can have the worst day but as soon as I walk through my front door and see my dogs get excited all of my worries and anxieties go away.

I currently have five dogs and four cats. I also have five fish and a lobster but you can’t pet and cuddle with them. I have four rescues and a German Shepherd we got from a breeder. The cats are all rescues. My cat was actually living outside of my best friend’s house after her owner had kicked her out and stopped feeding her. They might have some issues, but they are all perfect.

I have always struggled with stress and social anxiety. I get stressed out VERY easily about things that don’t matter and when I get stressed out, it’s really hard for me to get back into my normal, non-stressed mood. I can get stressed out about not being able to find a match to my sock and that can put me in a mood for the rest of the day. What’s even worse about being in these moods, I act like I don’t have any interest in anything to anyone.

People can be sitting right in front of me trying to talk and I’m barely listening still thinking about how I don’t have a match to that sock. I’m not good in groups of people and I’m much better at communicating with other women instead of men. Being in really busy places is way too much for me to handle and it kind of ruins the rest of my day.

I didn’t know how to handle myself when this kind of thing happened and I was never taken seriously when I said I wanted to try therapy. I had to learn how to handle things myself and learn how to fix myself. My therapy became my pets. Nothing makes me happier than them. Nothing can put a smile on my face as quickly and as easily as them. They became my go-to. When I was stressed, I would go in a room with only myself and my dogs or cats, and just love them. Let them cuddle with me, pet them, and just let all my stressed and anxieties go.

When I went to college, I needed to find a release there because I couldn’t bring my cats or dogs. I found this pet store that was about 10 minutes from campus. They had puppies, and I mean like puppy-puppies that they let you play with. This place was a GODSEND. This became my go-to place.

I was going probably close to three times a week. So much that the woman that was always working knew my name and most basic information about me. Those puppies helped me through so many times when I didn’t know what to do with myself and how to get my mind back on track.

All it takes is one look, one bark, one smile from my dogs and I melt. My cat can just make her little noise at me and wait for my attention and everything is okay. My heart becomes so full of love and trust that nothing else matters. I can’t help but smile every time I see them. I don’t know what I would do without them.

For the love of everything, adopt a pet, I know you won’t regret it.