Why You Should Take The Myers-Briggs Personality Test

It's the best personality test out there!

23
Unsplash

If you have not taken the Myers-Briggs personality test yet, believe me you are missing out! Personality has always been something that has fascinated me, and for a long time this fascination led me to want to be a psychologist or therapist. While that dream has not exactly worked out, it hasn’t stopped me from still doing research into the subject and in doing so I have come across a lot, and I mean A LOT of personality tests.

The majority of them are just click-bait based test whose principal job is not actually to test you but to make you keep clicking your screen and going to new pages where they can display ads while they ask questions like “what's your favorite butterfly” and at the end of the quiz they tell you how you are a “free-spirited person who has no care in the world.” A little bit of fiddling around and you realize that is literally always the answer unless you change the way you answered one of the questions.

The Myers-Briggs test is a whole different animal than these lackeys. For starters it wasn’t made by some viral website selling ad space and celebrity gossip. It was made by REAL psychologists, whom the test is named after. It has real results and real scientific backing!

It also isn’t a cash grab personality test like some I see where it tells you a result but then makes you pay to find out more. All of the information you need to know about you is right there for you when you finish this test.

The actual content of the test is far superior to its peers as well. Instead of it asking five or ten little questions about your hobbies and things you like, it asks around 70 (yes, 70! That is how legitimate this is.) questions; each one is asking a question about who you are and what you think, with you agreeing or disagreeing with what it states.

What really matters are the results though. When the test ends it tells you which of the 16 recognized personality types you belong to. These 16 types have been accepted by most psychologist to be the true and absolute types of personality that humans can exhibit and they are all based on varying combinations of four letters that make you who you are. Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert? Do you trust what you sense or your intuition? Are you all about your feelings or your logical thoughts? Do you judge or do you perceive?

Once you have your type you will find tons of sites including ones created by the Myers-Briggs Foundation that give you details on what your results mean about who you are. These pages aren’t some super vague hoo-hah anyone could read and go “wow that’s so me” either. They give you detailed analysis on things as simple as activities you probably like to the kinds of people you are comfortable dating, and it can be scarily accurate.

So, please, if you haven’t tried the Myers Briggs Test yet, give it a google and see who you are!