How I Persevered Through Failure

How I Persevered Through Failure

When I applied to Corban University, I was initially rejected.

471
How I Persevered Through Failure
Jillian Madanay

Corban first said no to my application because of my test scores. However, as I met all the other admissions criteria, such as grades and Christian values (Corban University is a Christian-centered college), the admissions department gave me two options to redeem my application: retake the SAT or write a letter explaining why I believed I was worthy of acceptance. I opted for the latter, and several weeks later, Corban reversed their rejection.

Before I share the letter, I want to emphasize why initial failure was necessary for my success. As a shy person, I am notorious to sticking to what I am familiar with. However, I realized that although I would be more comfortable at a college near my home and family, I could only grow as a person in a college away from home. My failure to at first be accepted into Corban not only illuminated my true desires, but also pushed me to follow through on my goals.

I am thankful I had to persevere through failure to matriculate to my university. Through my application process, I learned how to self-introspect, and how to identify and work on my weaknesses (i.e. standardized test-taking).

I hope reading my letter will inspire you to not be afraid to speak up and fight for what you want, and, most importantly, persist through failure. ________________________________________________________________

January 23, 2016

Corban University is an institution that stands firm to the teachings of faith, responsibility, long-lasting skills, and friendships that are very important for a young member of society to see and embrace. I believe, as a coming to age Christian, Corban University will not only give me the knowledge and encouragement to succeed further, but most importantly help me to develop a faith foundation in my soul that will forever ground me in all the things I have yet to pursue.

I appreciate Corban’s bible based curriculum with a student - to- teacher ratio of 14 to 1. I have been blessed to attend a Christian high school with a ratio of 3 to 1. Although this seems as a large jump, I feel as though I am ready to take on the challenge of a larger school setting and in great perspective, I believe I will flourish in such a positive, God-driven environment.

As I am concerned over the adjustment and some physical disabilities I have, I am relieved and comforted to know that Corban will help me adapt in the best ways possible. With such a big transition, I am in need of a caring college that is understanding and open to my differences.

I feel strongly that Corban University can fill the void. Even though I am technically “disabled,” I do not ask for or expect special accommodations, as I, my whole life have tried to be part of the “normal” environment. I may do things in a different way or speed, but it has been a blessing to me to prove to myself and others that I can still succeed, given my situation.

I have always wanted a college degree to continue my love of learning and growing. A college degree will help me to find my “passion” and “place” in the world. I think a college degree from a good college will help me to be marketable and prove to employers that I can focus and achieve the rigors of a 4-year college.

On a more personal note, as I want to work in the well established Disney Company, a college degree is strongly highlighted. However, I am more motivated to get a college degree because I aim for being successful, well rounded, but ultimately to show people that I could complete such a difficult and rewarding task. Besides, nothing better screams success than a college diploma!

As it has been said and proven that SAT and GPA do not define a student, I strongly believe that truth applies to me. I am not the best test taker. Anxiety sometimes gets the best of me and that is ok. Not to say that that is an excuse, however, I believe as my grades and work ethic have shown otherwise, it only proves the standardized tests sometimes are wrong and somewhat invalid of my potential.

As a person with Cerebral Palsy, I did qualify for specialized testing adjustments, but I have always declined any extra time or special accommodations. I feel like I would be cheating myself. I can adapt and work with all types of people and environments without slowing down the workforce in the end.

With my accumulative GPA of 3.71, I have proven to the world and myself that I can succeed. Last year, I was fortunate and blessed to land a spot on the National Honor’s Society and receive two prestigious volunteer awards from my state: National Philanthropy: Outstanding Youth 2015 and The Prudential Spirit of Community award: Distinguished Finalist 2015.

Through my actions, I have tried to pursue God’s commandment to be a servant to others. I strive to live through God’s scripture as said in Luke 12:48, “To whom much is given, much is required.” By this verse, I am reminded to always be thankful for all the opportunities given, but even so, this verse is my motto of what I live and stand for.

*Disclaimer: This letter was written in 2016 and was not re-edited for this article*