The Perpetual Fear of Graduation And Moving Into The Working World

How do you deal with the anxiety of going into the working world?

33
https://www.pexels.com/photo/accomplishment-ceremony-education-graduation-267885/

For the past few days, I have been scouring the internet, looking for graduate school programs. In the back of my mind for a few years, I have considered going to grad school to get my masters. I know it would help me in the long run if I did so. However, something occurred to me a couple of days ago that has been haunting me ever since. What if, subconsciously, I want to go to grad school because I am scared to go into a world without the structure of school?

Granted, I don't think that is my main reason for wanting to go to grad school because I know in the back of my mind there re plentiful reasons for me to go. For the experience, is always a great reason. I may also go internationally for a year to grad school in Ireland or England. I know that getting my masters will benefit me in my career field. I would be more 'hire-able,' more appealing to the companies I hope to apply to one day. The companies are so large and notable, that a masters degree would exuberantly help me stand out among the competitors I will possibly have. Getting my masters will unlock more opportunities to learn about the things I am so passionate about.

However, that question comes back to mind. What if I am looking for a reason to avoid graduating and moving into the real world? Maybe it's my anxiety or the voices of those who have spoken down to me in the past coming back to haunt me. Maybe it's the anxiety of not being able to go into the field I dream of. Maybe it's the fear of being stuck forever because I never took the extra time to really explore my craft, and now I'm mediocre at best.

It's something I'm in the process of trying to understand. The fears are those I am trying to rationalize through hours of research about the options I have. I know at the end of the day, I will benefit from having a masters. In my mind, I keep saying, "If I don't have a masters, I'll be just like everyone else. If I do get my masters, I will have a competitive edge when I go into the working world. In the long run, it would make me stand out more, and probably make my life easier."

Getting an education is important, and we shouldn't shame people for wanting to attend school at a higher level. We also can't shame people for not being able to attend grad school. Overall, it's a tough decision to make to get your masters, especially if money is a concern. Maybe time is an issue. Or maybe you're just scared to go into the working world. I think any reason is valid to go, or not to go.