The Perks Of Long-Distance Best Friends

The Perks Of Long-Distance Best Friends

Thousands of miles got nothing on us.

7
The Perks Of Long-Distance Best Friends
URJ Kutz Camp

For the past two summers, I have been lucky enough to attend summer camp in Warwick, New York with other teens from all over the United States and around the world. I have made friends from states I've never been to and even other countries like Israel, Canada, and Cuba. This camp has allowed me to create amazing long-distance friendships. These friendships have their clear con --only seeing your friends once a year sucks-- but overall, having long-distance friendships have way more perks.

You use Snapchat streaks and daily texts to stay updated on each other's lives.

Nothing beats the feeling of knowing that someone misses you and much as you miss them, and daily Snapchats and texting conversations make the miles between you and your best friends feel like inches. You know all your friend's other friends through social media, and can't wait to meet them in real life.

You can tell long-distance friends anything.

Friends across the country are always willing to listen to whatever drama is going on with your home friends, with a zero percent chance that your other friends find out. Your friends are basically free therapy, plus you double as their therapist, but it is always worth it. Insight from across the country is always available to help you gain a new outlook on your situation.

FaceTimes can last hours.

Different time zones often skew the availability of you and your friends, but once you start talking, the FaceTime won't end until you are into the next morning and you are both falling asleep. You catch up on life, reminisce over memories, and count down the days until you will see each other again.

You never take in person time for granted.

After counting down months, weeks, and days, finally reuniting with your best friends in an amazing treat. As soon as you are back together, you feel like you were never apart, and you cherish every moment until the impending separation. You know it's time to plan the next trip and start the next countdown, and you look forward to another unification.

I am so very grateful for those friendships that have surpassed the measures of distance and time and for the people I know are in my life for good. Camp helped me create friends that I cannot imagine living without. Our memories are no longer just formed in person, but over ooVoos, calls, texts, and Snapchats. However we communicate, I can feel our bonds growing stronger. Thousands of miles cannot harm my most cherished friendships, and I know these are the people that I will always be able to count on. So, to my camp friends: thank you for everything and I'll see you in 137days!!