11 Perks Of Being The Single Friend

11 Perks Of Being The Single Friend

It ain't that bad.

155
11 Perks Of Being The Single Friend
thoughtcatalog.com

If you opened this article I’m going to assume you’re probably the person who seems to always be single out of your squad. You’re probably the uncommitted one and the one who probably is a little bitter about it. Being back at school with a house full of happily taken friends, I can’t help but realize my ever present state of “single” more than I usually do. Now, before a mob of happily taken people grab their pitchforks, I am 100 percent not insulting people in relationships. Trust me, underneath every single person is someone hoping to find that great relationship. Relationships are great, obviously, but I gotta say there are some great perks to being the single friend. Being the single friend is usually a bummer, so let us have this moment.

1. You don’t have to worry about buying things for anyone but yourself.

Being broke really isn’t convenient for relationships. With birthdays, anniversaries, and just simply buying things for each other out of thought, relationships start racking up the dollars that I just do not have. I can barely buy my weekly supply of Kraft mac and cheese, so I definitely can’t buy anything for another person.

2. You have so much time for yourself.

Yes, you may be alone a lot, but being alone also means having time for yourself. Being single, you have so much time to do whatever you want to do for yourself. Want to watch four consecutive hours of "Grey's Anatomy"? Go for it. Want to go get ahead on homework for a few hours? Let’s do it. Being single means you have no other obligations but the ones you pick for yourself.

3. You’re living that “Drama-Free” life.

Not all relationships are full of drama, of course, but being single means you have a 0 percent chance of being that couple that fights every five minutes and basically thrives off drama. There are enough headaches to deal with on any given day, so being single and avoiding the heart-wrenching headaches of relationship drama is a great perk.

4. You never have to worry about forgetting a significant day.

This perk really is crucial. If you’re anything like me, it’s hard enough to remember your own phone number let alone people’s birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. It’s a great feeling to know you don’t have to remember every significant day with this person because if you don’t you’re “insensitive”.

5. You flirt with whoever you want whenever you want.

I guess when you find the right person you don’t want to look at anybody else, or whatever. But, until then I must say it’s pretty rad having the freedom to talk to whoever you want whenever you want. There are so many awesome people in this world and knowing that you can form a deep relationship with any random person at any moment really is a great perk to being single.

6. You’re forced to be independent.

Independence obviously isn’t reliant on your relationship status, but not having anyone to do things for you definitely helps in making you more independent.

7. You’re not forced to go places you don’t want to.

Oh, your boyfriend is making you go to that sports game you absolutely hate? Sucks.

8. You’re decisions are for you and you only.

As college graduation is approaching, I find this perk to be the most significant. As the perpetually single gal of the squad, I have so much freedom to choose where I want to end up after graduation. If I want to move across the country or to the other side of the world, I can. I don’t have a significant other back home to miss or keep me from leaving. Having the freedom to pick a city, a job, and a life anywhere I want is liberating and incredibly exciting.

9. You don’t have to share your bed.

Sharing a small sized bed with anyone just is not realistic. Especially these twin sized college dorm beds…..no. All it is, is hoping you don’t move that one inch too close to the edge and fall off your bed that’s raised five feet off the ground. Cuddling is only cute in concept or normal sized beds.

10. You get to be the “other perspective” advice-giver.

When people in relationships ask other people in relationships for advice, they’re probably going to get advice that is in favor of the relationship. Well, when you’re the single friend you get to be the person that see’s what is happening from a completely unbiased perspective. Getting advice from a happily committed friend and a slightly bitter single friend is completely different, and it’s good to have balance.

11. You have room to learn and grow on your own.

I’m sure every single person can agree that being single is quite a learning curve. Not being committed to someone forces you to make mistakes and learn. From that one night stand to the person you thought would be more, you’re figuring out what you find acceptable and what you don’t. You’re learning how you deserve to be treated and sometimes you’re learning that it’s okay to just have fun without any expectations. You’re also growing into a person that will one day be completely comfortable in the relationship that’s right for you, you just have to give it time.