Modern Technology Is Secretly Ruining Our Common Sense

We're lacking in the common sense department.

60
Wikimedia commons

Yeah, this one's a no-brainer: people lack common sense.

I don't just mean "push on a 'pull' door" kind of dumb, or even "buffalo wings aren't made of buffaloes?" sort of stupid, but the kind that doesn't know how modern technology conditions us to ignore our instincts.

...oh, you...don't know how the inter-structural bases of our built-around-comfort society slowly destroy the survivalist mental faculties we've held for several prior generations?

Well, neither did I, so great minds think alike, yeah? While going through some accounts, I found three aspects of our culture inhibited by applied science

Everyone can recognize this aggravating scene: you've gathered at the family dinner table, or gotten your friends together for the first time in a while, and the first thing your group does is reach for their phones.

All the hassle of putting together a meal, or, hell, bringing your friends' complicated social lives to a happy medium meeting place, and this is the reward? Tops of heads?

The overload of social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram makes for an exaggerated sense of attachment.

Did your phone just vibrate? Could that be a message from You-Know-Who (not Voldemort, the person you've been waiting to text you back?

The world's always got something going on and you'd hate to be the last to know, wouldn't you?

Enter FOMO, a newly-investigated cultural phenomenon standing for "Fear Of Missing Out", and is inexplicably linked to the notion that, without constant contact to our cellular devices, we miss out on fun, exciting, and engaging adventures.

It occurs so much that we can often witness this kind of behavior in our friends and family. We are so busy trying to experience everything online and missing out on the here and now.

Today is only here until tomorrow, after all.

In more extreme cases, social interactions are becoming too rare and "awkward", and many retreat to their screens to avoid potentially strange interactions.

Where before there was an understanding that, however awkward, people pushed through these situations, there is now an easy cop-out: hop on your phone and become detached from it all.

This over-reliance on technology expands to our navigation skills are shot, reduced to little more than pressing a button a machine to do the work for us.

When's the last time you used a map to find an unknown location? Likely not lately, not with Google Maps and GPS engines at your disposal.

The damage: you have no idea where to get where you've gone for years, driving on autopilot, awaiting instructions from a robot...like a robot.

Technology is replacing jobs once heralded by hard-working men and women. What could have easily been a job to help the working man put bread on the table for his family is now in the hands of AI.

This idea is beneficial in theory, creating tireless workers for tougher professions, but this also steals jobs away from those who had them.

In conclusion, understand I'm not some old geezer hating on the way the world is and where it's heading, I'll leave that to the Baby Boomers (joking).

This article points out the hidden ramifications we might not feel presently, but will surely come to confront soon enough down the line.

Imagine a time when you've lost power, perhaps for an extended period of time, and think to yourself: how lost would I be?