Public Display Of Affection

Have you ever really had the urge to go shopping? Like really, REALLY wanted to go to the mall. You're there, walking into stores, thumbing through merchandise, trying on what you like, making smart purchases and then you get hungry. So, you go to the food court to get, say, a pretzel. And what do you see? Two people devouring each other's faces in the food court.

Suddenly, you're no longer hungry.

Let me tell you all of the reasons why you shouldn't make-out in public.

First of all, it's gross. Like seeing two people literally inhaling each other's saliva isn't a visual an innocent bystander wants, trust me. Especially not before they eat.

And I know that some people are like "but that's how I show affection."

I'm gonna tell you what's wrong with that. If the only time you're affectionate with your partner is in public, have you maybe thought about the fact that you don't like having a partner you just like having arm candy? Because that's a serious conversation that you and your partner need to have.

Another reason you shouldn't show affection that way is that it makes your relationship look fake.

To me, whenever people have to perform their love by making grand gestures or showing off in front of others, it usually means their day-to-day relationship is very empty and forgotten about.

Sometimes PDA can also just be extremely inconsiderate.

Sometimes it's that you stop in the middle of a walkway to make-out and people have to find a way to get around you. Sometimes it's that you and your partner are too busy staring into one another's eyes to notice that somebody else needs your table at the food court more than you. Like your version of "love" is impeding the progress of others and you're just getting in the way.

Lastly, PDA genuinely makes other people uncomfortable.

Like, I don't even mean other people. Sometimes your partner isn't cool with it either, they just pretend to be so you won't get all whiny and upset. I am definitely not one for PDA in a relationship, but some people have tried to force it and it makes me withdraw. But since you all like to not communicate with people and assume you know what they want, you wouldn't even be able to tell if your partner doesn't like PDA, would you?

But it does make people around you uncomfortable, too. Now I have to be hyper-aware of your presence and the fact that you and another person are together, and I literally don't want or need to think about that. So be considerate.

It also does sometimes make other people feel lonely because they don't have a person.

I know people can't think back to a time where they weren't attached to someone they were dating at the hip, but there was a time, so think about it. Think back to when you were single and then remember that some people still are and they don't want to see you rubbing your happiness in their faces.

Yes, of course, I want everyone to be happy and in love and to find their person, but I do not want to see any PDA.

That doesn't just mean making-out. It includes the people who walk around with their hands in each other's back pockets, the people who are literally glued to each other's sides and the people who grind on each other at concerts. You can be happy with each other in public but be gross in private.

If I didn't ask or pay for it, I don't wanna see it, OK? No more PDA.