Living With A PC That Dies Faster Than Squishing A Bug

Just a really bad laptop.

155
Lizzy Leonardi

In a world full of Mac Books it is hard being the odd one out. My 2009 laptop works, but it is just not the ideal device. My laptop happens to be one of the very first windows 8 computers made. It dies unexpectedly, it updates every other day and it is just as heavy as a brick. No wonder I have back problems at 20 years old.

Remember the "Lollipop" laptop commercial?

The link above is a little refresher for those of you who do not remember. Well, that happens to be my laptop. Yes, my laptop is able to switch colors. And yes, I do have more than one color for my laptop. This computer was so cool back when I was in middle school, but listen, middle school me is way different than college me. I am 20 years old and my dad refuses to let me get a new laptop. And I am way too broke to afford one myself. Guess I have to work with what I got.

You think phones die fast?

If you think your phone dies fast, try again. I can't even use my laptop longer than 10 minutes without it dying. My battery will tell me I have 2 hours of life left and then 30 minutes later I get a notification saying, "7% battery charge." In what world are 30 minutes the same as 2 hours. If I do not lug around my charger then it looks like I will not be getting my work done that day. I see everyone with their mac books and they can literally go the whole day without charging it.

Talk about slow.

It doesn't even matter how fast the WiFi might be, my laptop is literally slower than a 95-year-old man trying to walk. My laptop doesn't understand I have things to get done in a timely manner. When I need to do my homework my laptop decides to load for 25 minutes and then load again when I need to switch tabs. It is a constant struggle that is very hard to live with.

Updates.

My laptop is probably super slow because of the number of times it updates! I swear my laptop every other day will be like "14 minutes and 57 seconds until your laptop updates." Explain to me why I need 800 updates a week. Who is doing this to me? I need to know. My laptop does not need to be updated it never fixes anything or makes any necessary changes because my laptop is so old.

I am overall grateful.

Thank you, dad, for buying me a laptop. No matter how slow or awful this computer might be it still gets the job done. Not everyone is fortunate enough to even have a laptop so I guess I can't complain. Overall, this laptop can get the job done and it tries it's best. I have had this laptop for too long now and I have a special connection with it. The relationship with my laptop is definitely a love-hate, with a lot more hate. Anyway, thank you to my trusty old man of a laptop.