Paying To Do Laundry In College

Paying To Do Laundry In College Is Annoying

Every little extra cost to a college student is a big deal, especially one that is a necessity.

129

Something that really gets on my nerves is the fact of having to pay to do laundry in college. At the University of Delaware, paying to live in the dorms for a year by itself can cost upwards of $8,000 not including a meal plan. Of course, there are perks to living in on-campus housing, being closer to classes and the dining hall and other facilities usually.

Yes you might be thinking laundry is only a few dollars to do a load, but over the course of a semester that can add up pretty quickly if you are someone who likes wearing the same bunch of clothes. I understand having to buy our own detergent and dryer sheets, but I feel like it would be a necessary perk to have laundry be free. I know that other schools don't charge for laundry when living in the dorms so I'm not talking crazy.

If you are someone who lives off campus, laundry would be "free" in terms of the fact that you are paying rent but most places come with a washer and dryer. This means that I wouldn't have to cap the amount of laundry I do or make sure I stuff as much as I can into one load in order to be cost-efficient.

I realize this article might have the overtone of being cheap, but hey, I'm a college student who is taking classes full-time and I don't work during the school year. The only chance I have to make some money is over the long breaks or the summer and that has to last me throughout the year.

Working out at the gym or being outside when the weather's nice would only accelerate the process of having to do laundry. After the gym, I always sweat a lot so I will go through a lot of t-shirts pretty quickly.

I don't mind having to do laundry in terms of putting everything in the washer and moving it to the dryer, but I'm not a huge fan of folding all my clothes and putting them away neatly. Sometimes I'll just stuff them in my drawer with the other clean clothes of that category, most likely because I will be wearing them soon anyway.

I just would like to not have to make sure I have enough money in my flex account or my actual bank account before deciding whether or not to do laundry.