Start Paying Artists

If Someone Is Serving You With Their Art, You Need To Pay Them

No, it's not for free.

27

Okay, so, I used to have a thing for photography. I still do! But, it's more of a hobby for me, and I don't really do photoshoots with anybody because I don't see my photography as being something I want to charge people for. It's just something I like doing, and I don't rely on it for any of my income.

However.

I have plenty of friends that are obsessed with things like photography and have developed their skills so much that they have the ability to charge people for their artwork and build, essentially, a business of their own. Their photography is really good, too!

If you know anything about photography as well, you also know that every photographer has a different sense of style. Someone who's a street photographer isn't going to take photos that look the same as someone who prefers to take photos of special events like wedding or quinceañeras.

That photography? Is art. And you pay for art.

I don't know how many times my friends have told me stories of people who don't want to pay them for taking photographs of them. If not that, they argue that the prices for being photographed are too high. That's insane to me.

Do people not know that it takes time and effort to create art? Someone who's photographing you is working to provide a service to you, and somehow the thought of paying them is an issue? Ridiculous!

People pour their hearts and souls into their artwork, and asking someone to do it for free or for extraordinarily cheap, is totally rude. It doesn't matter if they're your friend either, that just makes it even ruder to suggest they don't deserve to be paid for their efforts.

Pay your friends. Pay artists. Tip them. Compliment their work and share their information with friends and family so you can help them have new clients, and support their business. Just as you would pay someone for fixing your car, or painting your house, pay your artists for taking time out of their day to provide their service to you.

It seems like it would be common sense, but from looking at social media and seeing how people refuse to pay "too much" for "amateur" artists, it seems like it's not as common as I thought. I don't know how many times I've scrolled through Twitter and seen screenshots of people telling nail techs that their prices for the most gorgeous nails were too high. HOW?

Or people criticizing the prices of local caterers. It's ridiculous.

If you afford the service in the first place, maybe reconsider even booking a photo shoot with someone at all. Maybe reconsider getting your nails done? People don't have the time to spend hours of their day providing a service to you for you to not want to reward them for their work.

Shop local. Buy from your friends. Support small businesses. Most of all?

PAY THEM.