The Beauty Of Paulo Coelho's 'The Alchemist'

A beautifully woven tale of a boy on a journey.
73

I am always in the search of a good book and anyone who knows me well will know that I don't care much for a specific genre. I can read syfy novels, horror, memoirs, biographies, and history. I must say, however, that I took a chance when I picked up Paulo Coelho's novel "The Alchemist." The book explores the universe and the workings of omens and weaves an intricate story of a boy on a journey.

I don't really read books that deal with the spiritual aspect of the world because let's face it, in our current state of mind people would much rather focus on facts and scientific queries. I am one of those people. Or I thought I was until I read (and reread) this beautiful tale. Coelho forces the reader into Santiago's routine life and just as quickly forces us (and a confused Santiago) on a journey to break away to follow his dream (in this case literally).

The book focuses heavily on small obstacles that seem to deter Santiago from his goal but in the end, they seem to have shaped him into a better, and stronger character. The book sings of positivity throughout and voices the fact that somehow things don't always go according to the initial plan, but a person always ends up where they need to be and where they belong. As a person on a journey myself, I find this message of utmost importance. Perseverance is a trait that one learns over time, and the reader can see it through Santiago's eyes. Santiago's longing to return back to his routine life upon failures remind the reader as well about times where he/she must've thought "What if this doesn't work out?" To that, Coelho's answer is plain and simple: "It is the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."

Coelho focuses on the simple things in the environment that encompass Santiago, and those things are the ones that are able to guide him in the right direction. For anyone who's feeling a need to be inspired, THIS is the book to read.