My journey reading the work of Paulo Coelho started about three years ago when I read "The Alchemist" for the first time. However, my experience with that book is a different story that deserves its own article, which I will hopefully write one day. Aside from that book, I have read several other pieces by Paulo Coelho and firmly believe that he is one of the most brilliant modern day authors.
Here are seven quotes from two of Paulo Coelho's books that have impacted my life and personal journey in some way:
1. “The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Alchemist”
This quote comes from an anecdote within "The Alchemist" and constantly reminds me to take time to appreciate the beauty of the world around me while still focusing on the important things in my personal life.
2. “If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise….If the bad things are , and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Alchemist”
Whenever someone asks me about whether I'd want to be aware of the future (which happens surprisingly often), this is the first thing that comes to mind. Yes, knowing what is going to happen in the future would be interesting, but I'd rather take the good and the bad as they come.
3. “I rediscover myself at every turn. And that is what’s most interesting in life.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Spy”
This quote speaks for itself and is something I am recognizing more and more each day as I get older.
4. “Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Alchemist”
This is definitely something that has become more obvious throughout my life. I think that everything I need to know or want to know has (or will) come from classes, encounters, work, relationships, or other experiences within my own personal journey.
5. “Don’t be impatient. Eat when it is time to eat. And walk when it is time to walk.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Alchemist”
Becoming impatient is so easy to do in the fast-paced world we live in. This quote serves as a reminder to slow down, take a break, and focus on the specific moment at hand. There is a time for everything, so there should be no rush.
6. “Flowers teach us that nothing is permanent: not their beauty, not even the fact that they will inevitably wilt, because they will still give new seeds. Remember this when you feel joy, pain, or sadness. Everything passes, grows old, dies, and is reborn.” -Paulo Coelho, “The Spy”
I don't have an explanation or a real reason behind selecting this quote, but I definitely think it has become prevalent in my life and changed my understanding of flowers.