"Patriots Day" Will Leave You In Tears

"Patriots Day" Will Leave You In Tears

Remembering the events surrounding the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings.

11
"Patriots Day" Will Leave You In Tears
Boston Magazine

This weekend, I decided to see a movie in theaters for the first time in a long time. I went to see the movie Patriots Day which centers on the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings. Having a personal connection to the day made the movie even more riveting. It’s hard to find someone that didn’t have some sort of connection to the events of April 15, 2013. Reliving that day brings tears of sadness, joy, and hope along with pride for living in a state with such a powerful and passionate city.

Starring Boston native Mark Wahlberg as Boston Police Officer Tommy Saunders, the film recounts the moments before, during, and after the dramatic terrorist attack on the streets of Boston. The movie has a great balance of reenactments of the day combined with videos and photos from the original day. The blend of the two really brings to life the stories of those impacted and reminds us that this event truly did change our country.

I’ve never heard a movie theater so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house walking out of the movie. Patriots Day reminds us of a tragic day in the most beautiful way possible. The message of spreading peace and love is intertwined throughout the story line. We will never forget the day that Boston proved we aren’t the city to mess with.

What got to me the most was the fact that the stories of the individuals portrayed in the movie are real. A loving couple really did have their legs amputated, a little boy was separated from his father for hours following the blasts, and a man was really held as a hostage by the bombers before escaping and leading police to their location. Watching these individuals be interviewed at the end of the film really sets off the waterworks.

The producers did an amazing job of balancing the tragic events of the day with a bit of humor to help lighten the mood. It reminds us how resilient the city of Boston really is. The movie also pays homage to the four individuals that lost their lives that day. The story is told without leaving out any pertinent details. Anyone who remembers those long days following the bombings will instantly begin replaying everything in their minds.