Passion Meets Practicality

Passion Meets Practicality

Find the place where your passion meets practicality; set your sights on that as the finish line; and don't give up until you get there.

48
Passion Meets Practicality
Life of Travelling

About 75% of college students change their major at least once before they graduate. Most of these changes in majors can be attributed to one reoccurring factor; the passion just isn't there.

All too often students spend hours in classes that they hate, working towards degrees that they aren't passionate about. When we're told daily that we can "do anything we want to do," why do we waste our days pursuing a degree that we don't even enjoy? Or maybe we did enjoy our major at one point, maybe we used to love the idea of being an accountant, but now we have dreams of becoming a teacher.

Psalm 37:4 says "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." While this is true, there's a deeper point that also comes out of this verse. God can change your desires and dreams over time so that they align with His bigger plan for your life. You might wake up one day and realize that you're a biology major, but yet you hate biology.

If you aren't happy with your four-year-plan, then maybe it isn't the right plan for you. If you suddenly find yourself hating a major that you used to love, maybe your heart's desires have changed. Maybe, just maybe, you were made for something bigger and better than you ever could have dreamed of on your own.

So, start to dream bigger than you ever have before, pray that God will show you what His plan is for your life. Let yourself imagine what it would be like to pursue that art degree you know you would love but "wouldn't be sensible." If you can't see yourself being happy doing anything else, then you change that major and you sign up for those ceramics classes.

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire." -Unknown

Don't settle until your soul is on fire; anything less than that isn't worth your time. You were made to live a life that is full of joy, passion, and love. The choices that you make guide your life. So, choose a major, choose a career, that will help you live a life overflowing.