The Passion Behind Slam Poetry

The Passion Behind Slam Poetry

Words brought to life

15
The Passion Behind Slam Poetry
nuyorican poets cafe

Literature has always been a powerful tool of expression. For centuries we have been putting pen to paper, noting and recording feelings, thoughts, history and issues. Often, we can feel the emotions pouring out of the pages of these works (if they're written well). But it can also be difficult to encapsulate certain emotions through something as tangible as paper.

This is where slam poetry comes in. If you've ever watched a live performance of a "slam poem", you probably got goosebumps and your face probably burned with a fire that seemed to emerge out of thin air. Your throat tightens as you suddenly begin to truly feel what the speaker is feeling, and trying to get you to notice from within yourself.

Yes, this can be done in other forms of artistic expression that is done live (like theatre). Something about slam poetry, however, is done in such a way that you can't help but experience that emotion in such a swift manner. The words fall from the performer's mouth with such eagerness and urgency.

If there's a topic you feel strongly about, there's a slam poem out on the internet that will put exactly how you're feeling right in front of you. It is always important to know that you are not alone.

For a variety of slam poetry performances, visit Button Poetry on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ButtonPoetry