A Lesson Learned From This Year: Parkinson's Law

11

Treat everyday like it's your last day at college and, all of a sudden, everything becomes more meaningful!

We all want to reach our desires but, oftentimes, we forget to reach. 

We've all experienced, and will experience, major moves in our lives. Whether it is graduating high school, ending an internship, moving to a new country or graduating college all these changes have one thing in common – they transport us to a moment of reflection. I should I have told her how I felt... If only I had spent more time pursuing my passions... I really wish I had spent more time working out. The reflections come in all different shapes and sizes, but one thing always remains consistent – they have to do with happiness.

As the end of our adventures come closer, so does the urgency to do all the things that make us happy. Too often, people share their feelings with others when it is too late. Similarly, people often attempt to clear the air or apologize to each other in order to end their adventures on a good note. Why does this happen? Why is it that only in the end do we reach clarity and attempt to do the things that we've always wanted or needed to do? The answer lies in Parkinson’s Law, the notion that:

“Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.”

The closer we get to a deadline, the harder we work and the more effective we become. An excellent example is schoolwork. When do you work hardest? Two hours before a research paper is due or two weeks before that same paper is due? Obviously, the close a deadline approaches, the harder we work. Likewise, we do the same thing in college and in our lives. If there’s a girl or boy you really like, but are too nervous to talk too, the thought of, “well, I can always talk to him or her another time,” usually comes up. This is why we have regrets. We fool ourselves into not reaching our own potentials. Rather than acting with urgency, we fail to act altogether with the notion that we’ll have more time to do what we want in the future. This is a mistake.

Here’s my challenge to you: next year, three weeks into school, I want you to pretend like it’s your last day at college. Go out and do the things you want to do. Tell your friend you’re sorry. Ask that girl you like on a date. Start that club or website you've always wanted to start, but never got around to doing.

“There are leaders, and there are those who lead.” – Simon Sinek. 

If you really want to reach your full potential, reach it today. Don’t wait until tomorrow to be all you can be. If you really want to reach self-actualization, treat every day with urgency.  When you add urgency to the things you want to do in life, everything will become more meaningful.

I leave you with a quote from Jim Rohn, recipient of the 1985 National Speakers Association CPAE Award for excellence in speaking.

“Without a sense of urgency, desire loses its value.”

Be urgent with your desires and, all of a sudden, you’ll notice how few regrets you have.