Parents' Weekend

Parents' Weekend

No need to be nervous!

12
Parents' Weekend

This past weekend, my sorority had parents' weekend before the homecoming game. When they announced this event about a month before, immediate panic began to rise. My parents have been divorced since I was about 13 or 14, and they have never been able to really get along. My parents are also both remarried, so when I asked for RSVPs, all four of them decided they wanted to come. This made me all of the more anxious for what the weekend would bring.

As the days got closer, I decided to call both my mother and father one day to go over the plan and get a feel whether the weekend would go over smooth or not. Both promised to behave, avoid the arguments, and have fun. While these conversations calmed me a little bit, they still did not do away with the anxious feeling I had in the pit of my stomach.

As Friday rolled around, I slept in and waited for my mom and stepdad to arrive. It was my roommate's birthday, so we took her out to lunch and went to the candle sale for a little while. After helping them take their luggage to their hotel room, they dropped us back off at the dorm so we could get ready for the night, since my roommate had her parent date party that night as well.

After showering and beginning to get ready, my roommate realized she left her outfit at her aunt's, so as we headed to the car to grab it, my dad calls. Clearly in a bad mood, he began to ask a million questions about the plans that I had already explained. Raising his voice here and there, I eventually asked what his deal was. He was hungry and cracked his phone, which was GREAT news for me (not). I immediately felt that anxious feeling again, knowing that if my mom were to say a smart comment it would have been an argument right then and there. Luckily, he was about 45 minutes out, which gave him time to calm down a little bit.

He picked me up about an hour later, and we headed to the house for dinner. With all of the great luck I have, the food was all gone by the time we got there. With all of the parents hungry and my mom being about 30 minutes late, we finally left and went to one of my friend's houses, where our parents mingled and ate pizza before we went out on the town.

We eventually headed to the famous Hobie's Tiki Bar, where the parents drank, and all of my friends got to dance to the live band they had on that night. While the thought of going out with your parents seems lame, it was one of the most fun nights I have had in Starkville this semester.

I can definitely say that I was being dramatic (as always) when I was worried about my parents. Although they are not each other's favorite people, they got it together for the weekend and made for such a fun night.