An Open Letter To The Parents Of A Busy College Student

Thank you for understanding.

2332

When I go to the library to study and then get super stressed – this is when I miss my parents the most.

I will look at the time and realize I haven't talked to my parents all day and it's already too late to call. And I feel bad. They do so much for me and I can't even give them a phone call to say hello? They must hate me. But then I remember that they totally understand the concept of being busy.

Between school work, Greek life, maintaining a semi-normal sleep schedule and having a social life, it is needless to say that life gets overwhelming. I cannot thank my parents enough for understanding that. Whenever I'm stressed (which is about 75 percent of the time), I think of my happy place: home. Home-cooked meals, my family, my pets, my house...everything. If you ever think I don't miss you guys – you're so wrong.

Thank you for not being helicopter parents. Thank you for letting me grow into who I've become without babying me my whole life. Thank you for trusting me enough to learn from my mistakes on my own. Without these mistakes under my belt, I wouldn't be the strong woman I've become today.

Always remember that you raised me right. It's completely understandable to worry about me, but you put a good head on my shoulders. You're amazing parents; trust in yourselves. I know that I might not answer my phone every time you call, so thanks for not thinking I'm dead each time I don't. Being that I don't get much sleep, I sleep whenever and wherever I can. So, if you think I'm not answering you because I'm partying, you're probably wrong. I'm just a tired and sleep-deprived college student getting some shut-eye when I can.

Thank you for being understanding. I would totally go and see you guys every weekend if I could, but that's just not realistic. Thank you for not getting butthurt when I can't see you for the weekend. Or for the month. Or for the semester. It takes so much pressure off me knowing you guys understand when I can't talk or come home for a visit.

Never forget that I miss you so much. Just because I don't call all the time doesn't mean that I don't think about you. Everything reminds me of my family. I think about you guys all of the time. I can't wait to go home for break and spend all of my time with you.

My family means everything to me. Being away from family is hard, but it has definitely strengthened our relationship a lot – but that is because I have a great family that understands the struggles of being a college student. Thank you guys...for everything.