5 Page-Turners That Make Reading Effortless

Want to ease back into reading, but don't know where to start? These books make reading feel fun again.

1250
Reading

"I should read more books."

I can't even count the number of times I've said that phrase, either aloud or in my head. It's been a New Year's Resolution, a promise made with friends, a line in my self-improvement journal.

As a kid, I read constantly. My favorite days at school were when we got to visit the library. I would carry my chapter books onto the playground at recess, and cuddle up on a bench to read while the rest of my classmates played.

Yet, as I grew older, reading became more and more of a struggle. Between college classes, internships, social media, and my first full-time job, my attention span had shrunk exponentially. I knew that reading brought me joy and enriched my mind, but making the effort to sit still and focus for hours felt impossible.

Thankfully, after much trial and error, I learned the secret to getting back into reading: picking a book that's easy to read. In college, I had grand visions of posting up in the university library with an iced latte and a copy of War and Peace, but the reality was, I needed to start small. I needed something fun and engaging to reignite my love of reading. The following books helped me to do just that.

Gone Girl

1. 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynnhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/19288043-gone-girl

If "page turner," were in the dictionary, this book would be the definition. A compelling mystery, complex female lead character, crumbling romance and near-constant suspense? What else do you need?

You

6. 'You' by Caroline Kepneshttps://www.instagram.com/p/BEL6UNxvEFV/?tagged=youbook

This list starts with two thrillers for a reason. Humans are driven by morbid curiosity, whether we like to admit it or not. Even if you've seen the show, this book deserves a read. It's disturbingly realistic and captivating in the best way.

Educated

4. Educated by Tara Westoverhttps://www.instagram.com/p/Bmcpq09FhK9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

More people need to embrace the beauty of the memoir. Despite what you might think, you don't have to know anything about the author or have any previous interest in them going in. The intimate, conversational tone makes even the most unconventional life stories feel like a deep conversation with a good friend. And Tara Westover's story is one for the books.

Big Little Lies

2. "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty

Contemporary fiction authors have mastered the art of concise, captivating storytelling. Liane Moriarty's bestseller touches on dark themes like abuse, but with a light hand that leaves you feeling empathy rather than terror. Add in complicated character dynamics and a vivid California setting, and you could make it through this book in one sitting.

Mexican Gothic

"Mexican Gothic" by Silvia Moreno-GarciaAmazon

Alright, you may have noticed a theme of mysteries going on in this list. But suspense is one of the greatest motivating factors in reading, and I'll stand by that. Plus, a headstrong heroine and a dark fairytale atmosphere inspired by Mexican folklore? You can't go wrong.