What Machado Joining The Padres Means For San Diego

The Padres' are making moves to give fans something to cheer for like plenty of other teams in the league.

39
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIxpDin7Aa/

The San Diego Padres made a big splash this off-season by acquiring one of Major League Baseball's hottest free agents. On Feb. 21, the team announced the signing of Manny Machado for 10 years, $300 million that ensures the shortstop is heading to America's Finest City. The move sparks the conversation as to whether or not the addition of Machado will improve the national league team in the upcoming 2019-2020 season.

By going for Machado, the Padres appear to be heading in the right direction. It is now been back-to-back seasons in which general manager A.J. Preller decides to spend cash on big free agents in hopes of improving the team. Last year the Padres signed first basemen Eric Hosmer to an eight-year, $144 million contract. Now with Machado joining the club things can only improve. This Padres team is young and has the potential to break out at any moment.

The Padres have a long way to go before the league puts them on notice as a top-rated team. As a fan of the franchise, it will be exciting to see what this team can accomplish in the upcoming season. My expectation is the Padres should be within five to ten games of being a .500 level ball club. I'm curious to see what manager Andy Green can do with the likes of Wil Myers, Fernando Tatis Jr., Hosmer, and Machado on his roster.

When the news broke out about the Padres signing Machado, I was honestly bittersweet. It's a lot of money being spent on one player for a team that needs help in multiple areas. Then again, you can't really improve unless you're willing to spend money. At least Machado's resume checks out, him being a four-time all-star and two-time gold glove winner. It feels like the culture in San Diego is changing. If the team continues to improve maybe it will attract other free agents in the future to jump-start a reign of success for the Padres. Getting both Hosmer and Machado to come to San Diego is a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Time will tell what happens but I'm staying positive it will work out.

The Padres begin their season on March 28 when they face the San Francisco Giants at Petco Park.