This One's For The Overwhelmed College Student

This One's For The Overwhelmed College Student... At The START Of The Semester

You've got this; you always do.

152
Kelsey Dietrich

The start of a brand new semester of school always brings exciting feelings of optimism, opportunity, and novelty. The first month back of being immersed in classes truly sets the pace for the duration of the rest of the semester. It only makes sense to strive to keep everything as organized as possible from the very beginning so that you get into a good habit for the entire semester.

Sometimes, this is way easier said than done.

College introduces a whirlwind of conflicting emotions; one minute you seem to have your life together and then the very next minute, everything is falling apart. Meetings, internships, leadership positions, volunteer opportunities, shadowing experiences, performing well in classes, as well as balancing normal life responsibilities such as fortifying relationships, working to support yourself, and prioritizing personal health and wellbeing can all get pretty overwhelming pretty fast.

I get it; I'm a third-year college student and I am experiencing all of this too. There are some days when I wonder how I am going to balance everything that is going on in my first year as an upperclassman in my undergraduate career. I frequently struggle as I worry about all of the responsibilities I am in charge of; there is not one group that I can let down, yet I simultaneously understand that there are only 24 hours in a day and items on my to-do list must be prioritized. Sometimes things just can't get done today, but that does not mean they cannot be done tomorrow.

The start of the semester is ideally a time for fresh beginnings; a time where you should be doing everything right because there has not even been enough time for things to go wrong yet. Having this realization makes you start to fret even more. Is it possible to be overwhelmed at the start of a new college semester?

The answer is, of course, yes. Additionally, there is no shame that should be felt for feeling overwhelmed at the beginning of the semester. You are adjusting to several new changes as you find a schedule that works best for you. It is perfectly okay to feel like the world is falling apart because it very well could be until you figure out a routine that optimizes your chances for a successful academic year.

If you are the overwhelmed college student at the beginning of the semester, know that things will get better. You must keep a positive attitude and persevere through each hurdle that is presented to you. While it may feel annoying and troublesome to have to deal with so many demanding school responsibilities right now, in the long run, you are learning very valuable lessons such as time management, prioritization, and where your life value preferences are. By learning these lessons now, you will be better equipped for future experiences in life.

Finally, remember that you have experienced times of being overwhelmed and stressed before. You have survived so many other starts to the semester, so what makes you think that you cannot survive this one? While you may have harder classes to study for, different adjustments to make, and be more involved on campus now compared to other semesters, just know that you will figure out how to manage everything; after all, you always do. Figuring it out will not be easy, but once you do, you will feel so proud of yourself, just as you should be.