Go Ahead And Be That Overly Excited, College Freshman
Education

Don't miss out on your first year!

65
Rachel Figard

As the school year picks up, I've seen a multitude of articles usually titled something along the lines of, "How to Avoid Looking Like a Freshman." Admittedly, I probably read articles similar to that when beginning my freshman year of college. But as I reflect upon my first year, no amount of articles could mask that I was very obviously a freshman and SO WHAT?

My main problem with these type of articles is that they seem to suggest taking all of the newfound excitement about college and living on your own out of the whole experience. Getting involved in too much, overpacking, and asking way too many questions in class are all very telling signs that you're a freshman, but they're also learning experiences.

By going to every welcome back celebration (that usually only freshman go to), you'll probably meet a ton of new friends. By overpacking, yes you'll probably regret it, but you'll be super appreciated whenever your friends need to iron their shirts and you're the only one on the hall with an iron. And yes, asking an excessive amount of questions in class can be a little annoying but it's exciting to be taking classes that you actually care about.

Don't avoid doing all of those "freshman-esque" things in fear of being a stereotypical first-year, because trust me, no matter how hard you try, you'll still look like a freshman. (Sorry, that baby face gives it away). Trust me, no one will care that you're a freshman, because we have literally all been there.

Instead, focus on capitalizing on your first year! Try out different clubs, take courses that interest you, go to all of the on and off-campus events that you can. Find what interests you and stick with it. Whatever you do, make sure you do it with passion and devotion.

You only have four years for the "college experience" so make sure you do it right. Even if that means looking like "that freshman."