There Is No Such Thing As Being 'Overly Emotional' — That's Just Someone In Your Life Who Lacks Empathy

And whoever tells you differently obviously doesn't have an empathetic bone in their body.

327

Empathy: The ability to understand and share the feelings of others.

Used in a sentence: "Anne showed empathy to by holding and crying with Carl, who lost his father."

Well, that's been who I am my entire life. And I am sick of being called "weak" or "too emotional" because of it.

Ever since I was a child, it seemed like I cared too much about others. I constantly put others before my own needs — literally giving whatever I have to someone else who needs it more than I. I am the friend who listens and doesn't really talk about my own problems in my life, and whenever someone is in need or needs support, I stop what I'm doing — no matter how important — and will do whatever I can to help.

People call me "too emotional" or "weak" because of this, but you know what? I don't really care.

Yeah, I cry during the sad parts of the movies. Why? Because I put myself into the character's situation and understand what they are feeling. When my friends are hurt, I cry with them because I learn to understand their situation and sometimes, they need someone to cry with. I can barely watch the news without my stomach hurting and having tears in my eyes because of how horrible the climate of our political state is right now.

So, call me a "drama queen" or "emotional," but I would certainly rather be selfless and caring rather than being a judgmental, selfish person.

So, if you are like me, and is able to provide empathy to others by understanding their situations and caring for their feelings, then know I am proud of you. It takes a naturally good person to be able to step inside someone's shoes, walk a mile, and provide love and compassion for them. Crying, sharing stories, and being there for someone shows your character, and for that, you are stronger than you know.

And don't worry: the people who call us "weak," "dramatic," or "too emotional" are going to need us in their time of need, and when we help them, they will understand our strength.