The Overly Ambitious True Story: A review of Logic's "Everybody"

The Maryland Rapper is trying to do too much at once.

110
Sam Spratt

Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, better known by his stage name Logic, is a 27 year old Maryland rapper and producer. Logic has managed to gain a strong fan base with critical and moderate mainstream success. He's known for putting out a project every year for the past 7 years, whether it's a studio album or a mixtape.

Personally I’m a huge fan of Logic. I enjoy his production immensely as well as his lyrics and subject matters, whether it's about dealing with his vices, self-esteem or his relationships. His tendency to make references to nerd pop culture, as Logic is a fan of movies, comics and video games, is also something that I can relate to.

For one reason or another, many fans of hip-hop or music in general aren't the biggest fans of Logic, even though I think he's better than several mainstream rappers. Some of the critiques I've heard are that Logic can be somewhat generic, and that there isn't anything particularly unique about him. While I don't agree with these criticisms, his third studio album “Everybody” will definitely make it a bit more difficult to defend Logic as an artist.

“Everybody” is a unique but very ambitious project. Logic proceeds to push his mantra of “Peace, Love and Positivity” even more in this album, where Logic urges his listeners to not think of people through their color, religion, creed or sexuality but to think of them as just people. Most of all, he discusses his biracial identity and how that affected his life growing up and how it continues to affect his career.

There are definitely some great tracks on this album, where Logic continues to put his amazing production skills on display, especially on tracks like “Confess” and “Anziety”. I especially enjoyed the return of his trademark “skipping” effect, where certain words and phrases sound like they're being "skipped" on a record (listen to “Take it Back”; the effect is prevalent there). Some of the best songs on the album are actually the songs he released as singles beforehand, which are the title track “Everybody”, “1-800-273-8255” (the suicide hotline number), and my favorite track on the album “Black SpiderMan”. Probably the most surprising song on the album was “Killing Spree”, a hard and aggressive song that has Logic calling out everyone who heavily consumes social media and fails to make any sort of change or positive effect on society. This song highlights actor Ansel Elgort’s (“The Fault in Our Stars”, “Baby Driver”) singing ability, who has a soft but very haunting feature.

While Logic did bring both the beats and the bars to this album, the project is ultimately barred down by all of the themes and elements he wanted to include. I loved that Logic wanted to rap about his personal experience of being a biracial man. He raps about how he is often rejected from both sides, being told he doesn't know what it's like to be a black man because of his light complexion in addition to being discriminated against and told that he should be ashamed to be black. But, he also proceeds to rap that he’s proud to be black and that he has a lot of pride as a black man. He ALSO tries to relay the message that no one should be judge based on their ethnicity or religion or sexual orientation. While I appreciate all of the sentiment he has in the lyrics of all these songs, he’s simply doing too much. His verses on being biracial I think were unique because no other artist is directly discussing this in their music, and I believe he should have focused on that. The project instead comes off as a bit preachy, where Logic wants to tell you all of his personal experiences and what you should be doing and thinking as a listener. A prime example of this is the track ”Take It Back”, a great track up until Logic starts to tell his life story for 5 minutes. The biggest detriment to the project however is the sketch throughout a la his second album “The Incredible True Story.” In "Everybody", Logic is trying to tell a story between a man who just died named “Atom” and Logic’s version of “God”. The story simply doesn’t make sense in the the context of the album and arguably doesn’t make any sense at all. I commend Logic trying to be cinematic, but it just made the project way too crowded.

All in all, “Everybody” is a solid effort by Logic, but is a much harder listen than his previous projects and will probably alienate mainstream audiences. As Logic typically makes music that’s directed at his fanbase, he probably doesn’t have a problem with that. I just hope that his next album, which is said to be his last, becomes the masterpiece he wants all of his albums to be.