Overcoming Uncertainty

Overcoming Uncertainty

They ask me what I do and who I do it for...

149
Overcoming Uncertainty
Unsplash

School has never been my cup of tea. I liked going and seeing my friends, but never really enjoyed learning. I love being in college, but I don’t get excited to go to my classes. I don’t have a major and I will be surprised if I come up with one anytime soon. The moral is, school feels pointless to me because my dream isn’t in a “real job." I know that I love ministry and worship and that is my dream job.

I find myself way too often asking myself why I am even here. I wonder if I should have gone to Bible college or taken an entirely different route. I don’t want to be a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer, so why am I trying so hard to do well in my classes to eventually get into my major and get a career that I don’t even want?

A few weeks ago, these thoughts invaded my mind and I found myself browsing Netflix. I normally don’t have enough patience to sit through an entire movie, but I chose Evan Almighty. If you haven’t seen it, I’ll give you a basic summary: Evan, a husband and father of three boys, is elected to Congress and moves his family to a huge house in a suburban city. In this transition to his new job and lifestyle, God comes in and starts giving him different materials and signs for building an Ark. No one in the town understands why he has dropped everything to do it, but eventually the reason is revealed: a dam breaks and the entire city is flooded and destroyed.

Evan didn’t know why God wanted him to build the ark. He didn’t understand why he should abandon his well-paying job to build an ark in the middle of a suburb. He didn’t get it, yet he did it because it was God’s word for his life.

I don’t know why I’m at college. I don’t know what my future holds and what career path I will be taking. I don’t understand why God has me here and not onto the big places that I wish I could be. I don’t get it, yet I trust Him because this is His will for my life at this given time.

I often feel like if I’m not doing something that is specifically ministry that it isn’t as important. I deem my math problems as less important than practicing my church songs because my songs are for God, but shouldn’t my entire life be for God? Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters…” We have been put on this earth to shine His glory through what we do.

The people around us are watching what we do. They see if our hearts are full of the Holy Spirit and they see if our minds are being taken over by the enemy. In everything you say and everything you do, say and do for His glory. You never know what your season of “not getting it” is preparing you for.