When It Feels Like You're Failing...

When It Feels Like You're Failing...

Realize the importance of release.

3
Photo by Subham Dash from Pexels

As college students we face many hang-ups. There are so many times when it feels like we're failing in almost every aspect in life whether it's spiritually, academically, mentally, financially or otherwise. I'm realizing now that happiness - true, adulterated, shameless happiness – can only start with the self from within.

Especially at a time like this, when school has become so overwhelming it keeps you up at night not just from studying or doing homework but from the sheer despair you feel when you think about your plummeting GPA. Especially at a time when it seems like every other student around you is either on top of everything and maintaining good grades or simply taking a chance and remaining apathetic, no in between. Especially when the beginning of your semester looked completely different than where you are now.

And maybe you don't relate to any of these things, and that's okay. Great actually. I know things like grades and late assignments might seems trivial right now with everything else that's going on in the world. But when you take a step back, you'll realize that these things are our livelihood. The minute we first registered for classes, it was our goal to take these classes, do well, and eventually graduate. That was our sole purpose for the time being. Granted, college is so much more than taking classes but, of course, it's the main reason we chose to pursue higher education.

But I know situations change and plans have to be dissolved. When it seems like everything is falling apart around you, maybe it's good to let your plans fall apart too. I think it's important to not put yourself and your goals and dreams in a box, whether that box be a specific timeline, or a certain place, with certain people. It seems like holding on to these things only hinders happiness. Consider the possibility that it's okay to retake that class, or to take a gap year, or switch majors, or even quit school altogether. Consider the possibility that on the other side of these decisions is the life you've always wanted then chase after it.

To whoever is reading this, I hope you find within yourself true, adulterated, shameless happiness.