10 ways to Overcome Creative Block
Books Lit

10 Ways To Overcome A Creative Block

Don't go looking for ideas; let them come to you.

17
10 Ways To Overcome A Creative Block

As a writer and a creator. Creative Block is one of the most annoying things one can deal with. My head is foggy and it's hard to get out any ideas. I look at the world around me and find little to no inspiration what so ever. I've been trying different methods for overcoming this problem for years. There are different ways for different people it takes time to figure out the perfect way to bring yourself out of a creative funk. For example, I have many ways that I myself bring myself out of creative funks. Are you stuck? Inspiration and ideas not coming to you? Here are 10 things you can try today to overcome your Creative Block.

1. Take a Shower

upload.wikimedia.org

Well, not really taking a shower. But you can do that if you wish. Doing mundane tasks such as showering, doing the dishes or brushing your hair lets your mind wander. There are countless times where I will take a shower after a long day of work and come out of the bathroom with my mind racing and ready to write something. I'll be walking the trash out to the curb and it will give me small lines of poetry.

2. Watch a movie (and take a break!)

c1.staticflickr.com

Again, you don't have to watch a movie. But consuming different types of media such as books, movies, tv shows and other online sources (i.e Instagram, Pinterest, We Heart It) are all great ways to find new ideas. Plus, it's nice to take a break and do something that doesn't relate to your art or what you create. I can't write all the time, I burn out and become even more blocked and even more frustrated. Take a break from that poem you're working on, that video you're editing or that article you're trying to write. But, if you try this way, you must eventually come back to your project!

3. Carry a notebook with you everywhere you go

upload.wikimedia.org

Jack London says it best. "Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it. Slap into it every stray thought that flutters up in your brain. Cheap paper is less perishable than gray matter, and lead pencil markings endure longer than memory."

This is true on so many levels, our brains move so fast that ideas come and go before you can even process that they've happened. If you keep a notebook (nothing too fancy) and write down everything that comes through your brain that has the least bit of importance what you capture will be absolute mind-blowing. It doesn't have to be a sonnet, grocery lists are perfectly applicable for this. Leaves more room for the ideas.

4. Take a nap

c1.staticflickr.com

Writers who stay up all night and write are bound to end up with nothing useful. Your brain can't formulate things and really a tired brain makes everything much more foggier than it was before. Do yourself a favor and go and get some sleep. Not only will it help that creative fog lift, you'll feel much better too.

5. Go for a walk

c1.staticflickr.com

Exercise seems to be the answer to everything from health to a creative funk. If you've been sitting at your computer screen for hours on end, chances are your but hurts and your fingers hurt. Take the time, get off of your butt and go for a walk around your neighborhood. You'd be surprised how much a difference 10 minutes makes!

6. Visit friends

c1.staticflickr.com

Sure, going for nature walks alone in the middle of the day or locking yourself in your "study" to work on your projects is nice and all; but isolating yourself from your friends does not provide a lot of "source material" for you to create something. Plus, it's good to get yourself out of that room you're holding yourself in and just hang out with people.

7. Go "people watching"

upload.wikimedia.org

Or really, don't isolate yourself to one place to create. As a writer, most of my characters are based on real people I have met or have seen around in coffee places or stories. Getting yourself out of your work space and into a more free environment with people coming and going is bound to bring up something. You can find creativity in many odd and unique places.

8. Take care of yourself first

upload.wikimedia.org

Your art, or your creations, doesn't mean the sacrifice of your well-being. Don't put aside breaks, sleep or your health for this. You could be blocked because right now you're really craving Double Stuf Oreos or something. If you've been neck deep in your project that you've forgotten what day it is. (I've done this on many occasions) Then go and drink water, get a good meal, rest and come back to it with a clear head.

9. Reorganize

c2.staticflickr.com

One cannot think when there are so many empty bottles of various caffeinated sodas. If you forget that your floor even exists or there was something you lost about a month ago. It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean up your space. A clean space means a clear head. (This is something I need to practice more often, but when I do it helps much more than you think)

10. Talk with other creators

c1.staticflickr.com

If you're a writer, talk with other writers. If you're an artist talk with other artists. Talking with other creators creates a support to make your creative life a lot easier. You have support, you have people to talk to and they always seem to come up with the best ideas.