To The Professor That Thinks They're My Only Class
Education

Spoiler Alert: you're not.

737

You all know exactly who I am talking about.

Everyone as that one teacher, or professor depending on your current level of schooling, that assigns work as if we have free time 24/7 outside of their class.

Just today, I sat in a (three hour) class while my professor reminded us of all the big assignments we have due soon, there were four. FOUR.

Not just a couple small things here and there, four intensive, and stressful assignments. This is a class I personally come to right after being up since 6 A.M. for four hours of student teaching, half of my weekly requirement, at a school that is an hour away. After class, I have an hour long break before I go to work for five hours. By the time I get home tonight I will have been going nonstop for 16 hours.

That is just a small insight into just how much that class is not the only thing I have going on tonight.

But you would have no idea of that if you listened to my professor talk. And, I'm sure that I am not the only one that has experienced this.

You see, if that professor were right and her assignments were my only concern, it would be no problem to be successful in the class. Unfortunately, that is not true. I have multiple classes that want to assign multiple hours of homework, every night.

And it is not just in college, I remember ridiculously late nights dating back to high school.

We all had teachers who sat up there and said "I only assign like two hours of homework, so its not too much." Okay, two hours is not that much but if you give me two hours, and my other four teachers give me two hours, I'm up to TEN hours. Ten hours of homework is longer than a full school day.

Maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but how is anyone supposed to function with that much pressure? When are we supposed to eat? Or sleep? Exercise? Work? Talk to anyone?

As a future teacher, I fully support the importance of a good education. But if you are out there teaching kids, of any age, make sure you factor in other classes and responsibilities, because we are dying over here.