I Even Had A Dream About Biochemistry

7 Thoughts My First Week Of Biochem!

Screw syllabus week, lets just jump right into the fun stuff.

83

I am a science nerd, I love science and will happily take a science class over ANY other subject. I am the girl who enjoyed Microbiology, and Organic Chemistry (we won't talk about physics). That being said, I had heard really terrifying things about Biochem at UMaine but was just like "Ehh let's see how it goes."

There were definitely LOTS of thoughts going through my head this first week of class, both loving and hating of the subject. Obviously, the first week of classes isn't too intense (yet) but have you ever had a class that you started out loving but ended up hating? Or vice versa? I thought it would be fun to see how my opinion on Biochemistry changes over the next 14 weeks.

Here is part 1:

1. I NEED to find friends!

Have you ever taken a class and not known a single person in it? And have it be a 200 person class. I do not enjoy it. I immediately started to look for friends to sit with, study with and have by my side in case it gets a little dicey. Thankfully, walked in on the first day and found a group of girls, I knew and some I didn't. So its a win-win, making new friends and not suffering alone. Good start!

2. Are there going to be enough chairs for everyone?

As I sat in my seat and waited, more and more and more people started showing up. The classroom is huge but with the clusters of people in the aisles I was nervous, they overbooked the class. I knew I'd have to keep getting their early cause I was sure as hell was not about to sit on the floor (don't worry, there is enough room!)

3. TopHat??? Huh?

I got an email from TopHat saying "Your professor invited you to join the online classroom." I had no clue what TopHat was, why it was a part of my class, or how on earth to deal with it. WHY CAN'T WE JUST STICK TO BLACKBOARD?! Thankfully, it ended up being really simple, and a lot of classes use it apparently.

4. Why do I have to pay for so many things???????

The downside is I HAD TO PAY FOR TOPHAT! Why make me pay to be in the classroom if I am already paying thousands of dollars for the class itself!!!!! That doesn't even include the textbook and access code. College is stupidly expensive.

5. I know all about water, already.

I was terrified this class was going to be super hard, but the first two lectures have been all about water. Which I may or may not have learned about in my 10 other science-based classes that I have taken in my 4 years of undergraduate. Water is very important and does a lot of cool things, I get it.

6. WOAH! Slow down dude!

HOLD THE PHONE! I cannot write as fast as the professor speaks let alone goes through the powerpoint! How on earth am I going to get all the information? If he read off the powerpoint it would be one thing but you're making me try to read the powerpoint and comprehend what you are saying! SLOW DOWN, HELP!

7. I hope the entire semester is like this!

Thankfully, this professor gives our a worksheet almost every class to help with our understanding of the information. It is tedious when it is stuff I understand but DAMN is it going to be useful when it gets hard. Or ya know it could just stay like this forever, not hard, material I know so I can kill it. PLUS if I kill it I don't have to take the final!