How I Learned I Would Be Lost If I Didn't Rush A Sorority As An Out-Of-State Student

The best feeling is finding your home away from home.

142
Photo By Dana LeBron

Going out of state for college can be intimidating. I know when I decided on the University of Florida, I was terrified because I really didn't know anyone else in my freshman class. However, there is one thing that saved me — my sorority. I know, whoever thought that I would be a sorority girl? But it truly impacted my whole college experience.

Different from my fellow classmates, I decided to not rush during my first semester at school. Although not as many sororities rush during the spring, I knew I wanted to have a semester under my belt and really get a feel for who I was at college.

During my first semester, I grew a lot as an independent person and finally started to discover who I really am and what my purposes were. Although I didn't know what I wanted as my career or knew big plans for the future, I knew the type of girls I wanted to be surrounded by and friends with. So I rushed, I got a bid, and I ran to my home away from home!

Looking back at the past year and a half, I could not imagine myself anywhere else. Through my sorority, I have found not only my best friends but my roomie! If you're reading this, love you girl!

Joining a sorority can feel intimidating and at times scary. But let me let you in on a secret: if a house makes you scared or intimidated, it is not the right house for you. You want to be in a house that you can see yourself in and find people that are like you. You may be able to manage a fake conversation for 10 minutes, but you shouldn't want to go to the house where you fake it. Even though that might mean that you won't be in a "top tier" sorority. Another point on that: stop thinking about Greek life as a ranked system. Going into recruitment with an open mind is so important. Do what makes you happy and what makes you feel comfortable.

If you find that greek life isn't for you, who cares! Everyone is different and not everyone wants to be in a sorority. But at least try it! You have nothing to lose and what's meant to be will be. I was able to find my home away from home and I am so thankful that I took the leap of faith and rushed.