OU Pink Week 2019

OU Pink Week 2019

University of Oklahoma's Relay for Life hosts Pink Week 2019 to raise money and support for finding a cure for cancer!

68
OU Pink Week 2019
American Cancer Society
Its officially PINK WEEK 2019!!

OU's Relay for Life has been working tirelessly to make this week a reality and the time has finally come. If you saw dogs on the South Oval and still can't get the loud music out of your head, don't be alarmed, its all for a great cause!

So what is Relay for Life?

The Relay For Life movement is American Cancer Society's signature fundraiser dedicated to helping communities attack cancer. From team members to volunteers, we all want to remember those we've lost, help those affected today, and give us a home team advantage against cancer. Through funds donated, time given, or awareness raised, our communities are teaming up to make a difference. When we rally together in the fight against cancer through this fun and inspirational event, we can accomplish anything. (ACS, 2019)

What does the Relay for Life experience look like?

1. Pre-event Fundraising- From bake sales to car washes and lots of social media posts, you'll have plenty of fun raising funds and awareness well before your Relay For Life event.

2. Meet with Your Team- Find your team and let the event begin! Most teams set up a tent for their home base so you'll always have a place to recharge, paint faces, or just grab some shade.
3. Opening Ceremony- Kick things off right with an opening ceremony welcoming all the Relay participants. There may even be live music and special guests to help get you pumped for a day of remembrance and celebration.

4. Survivor and Caregiver Laps- First the survivors take a celebratory lap, with the crowd cheering them on. Then caregivers take their turn to get recognized for all they do to support their loved ones.

5. Time to Celebrate!- Once the event is in full swing, teammates take turns walking the track or path to symbolize the ongoing fight against cancer. Between laps, you can check out other teams' tents for games and activities, and help support the cause by purchasing raffle tickets or food.

6. Lighting the Luminaria- We light Luminaria to remember those we've lost, celebrate cancer survivors, and show everyone affected by cancer that we are the light in the darkness.

7. Closing Ceremony- Last, but certainly not least, you'll participate in a closing ceremony to recognize all our event volunteers, the community's hard work, and the fact that our fight will keep going until the world is free from cancer!

(ACS, 2019)

What happens during Pink Week?

Monday (9/30)- Pink PAWsitive and Luminara/Button Sale on the South Oval from 10am to 2pm

Tuesday (10/1)- Rockin' music and Luminara/Button Sale on the South Oval from 10am to 2pm

Fireside (S'mores night) on the Walker-Adams Mall from 7pm to 9pm

Wednesday (10/2)- Benefit night @ TBD (Will be updated when released tonight 10/1)

Thursday- (10/3)- Benefit night @ The Porch 7pm to 9pm

How can I get involved?

Register-

Register for Relay! The early you sign up, the more money you can raise (and prizes you can earn) for a great cause!

Show up-

Watch the social media accounts and come out to the events!

Drop a follow-

Instagram

Facebook

Website

Donate-

If you feel inclined, you can make a donation at: https://www.facebook.com/donate/448140192721861