A Brief Summary of My Trip to Mexico P. 1

After 8 hours of flight time, I arrived at Puebla, Mexico. To be honest, the flight wasn't anything special; what was, however, was that I went alone for the first time. Not that it really scared me. I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I go somewhere new, I try to relate to the environment around me. I was not used to all of the building shaped like cubes. That's when I figured out that things would be interesting in the future. The next morning was pretty hectic. Turns out there are no crossing signs in Puebla, so move at your peril. Luckily, if you were told to look both ways before you cross the street, you'll be fine. I loved talking—or at least attempting to talk decently—in Spanish with the local; a majority of them were super friendly, especially the owner of a restaurant named "Santo Agave." He'd called me "Jacob" after my professor joked with my name, but I like it. It has a nice ring to it. I took four types of classes at UPAEP. The first was on the history on ancient Mexican history, where maize was the buzz and Latin America was divided into thirds. The second class was a dancing class where I struggled with every step. The third class was the main language program, and my Professor was amazing; we talked about reality, fantasy...and the Kardashians. The final class was a cooking course in the gastronomy laboratory, where I made mole, tacos, and sandwiches: staples of Mexican dine-ins and street food. It was a pretty cool experience. The low, however, was getting sick the first half of the trip; apparently the doctor told me that every person has different stomachs and E. coli has the capability to make life miserable. After a few days of medication, I was back for business. Puebla was a very fun place to explore; the city life is WAY better than the one in Norman. Everyone seems to know/acknowledge each other, whether on the streets or in traffic. This was a very unique and fun experience, and I will very much miss it.

Related Articles Around the Web