All That's Colorful Isn't A Rainbow: The Other Side Of The Unicorn Trend

Look past the sparkles and what do you see?

162

Milkshakes, hot chocolate, cookies, cupcakes, cheesecake...good gravy, what hasn't been given a unicorn version these past few years?! (Speaking of which, even gravy's been infused with unicorn glittery-ness!)

Lots of people have been getting fed up with it all, calling it babyish and overly dramatic. What happened to the days of unicorns being for preschoolers? Does EVERYTHING have to have a unicorn version of it?

On the other side, there are those who think it's adorable with all the bright colors lighting up things that would otherwise be dull shades of brown and white--it's called chocolate and vanilla people! They light up your Instagram feed and draw attention faster than a sign for free samples. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just an evil black fun-hating dragon!

Well, if this is going to be the case, I love being a dragon.

In mythology, dragons are considered to be positive and even friendly creatures who chase away ferocious and ugly evil spirits that came and tormented the people. It's why dragons are so associated with Chinese New Year.

However, thanks to European stories like that of Beowulf, dragons came forward as signs of ultimate evil and their reputations were trashed faster than Logan Paul's after he made a video joking about a Japanese forest where people were known to go to commit suicide.

Numerous stories often made villains out of dragons (remember Sleeping Beauty?) and made them out as the equivalent of the ugly ferocious monsters these mythical creatures once conquered.

It could be said that people who don't embrace the unicorn trend are the equivalent of dragons, as they choose to see these creations as gaudy instead of gorgeous. Why do they see things this way? For me at least, it's because these items are merely ornamental.

They don't taste any different than their non-unicorn counterparts, and sometimes the hefty dose of food coloring makes them taste worse. A simple mug of Swiss Miss topped with whipped cream might not be as pretty as a cup of pink hot chocolate topped with rainbow marshmallows and glitter, but the taste is more saccharine in the latter.

The Swiss Miss drink might not be ideal for Instagram, but it's more than ideal for my taste buds, and I hope it will be for yours too. Food's meant for eating anyway.