14 Movie Remakes From The 1980s That Prove Originals Are Always Better

Let's appreciate the classics, not attempt to recreate them.

140
Saksham Gangwar

While we can applaud directors for wanting to honor these 1980s films and deliver iconic storylines to younger generations, it’s inevitable that there will be negative feedback regarding their efforts to recreate them. Maybe it’s because we have our hopes and expectations set way too high. Perhaps our nostalgic feelings have placed these films on a pedestal no remake could ever do justice for. Or quite possibly, these remakes were actually as poorly made and hastily thought-out as people are saying. Either way, here is a list of 14 films that seem to prove that original films are almost always better than their remakes.

1. "Karate Kid" (1984 vs. 2010)

While Jaden Smith was adorable in the new film, many fans believe he was far too young to portray the depth and tone the character needed in order to fulfill the complexity of the role.

2. "RoboCop" (1987 vs. 2014)

Many critics complain that the 2014 "RoboCop" reboot lacks both the witty social commentary and the character development of the original, only to leave behind a stereotypical plotless action.

3. "Footloose" (1984 vs. 2011)

Naysayers stress that the new film turns a once light-hearted and energetic film into an overly dramatic work that loses both the authenticity and joy found in the original.

4. "Annie" (1982 vs. 2014)

Images from Adoro Cinema and IMDb

This Broadway classic has now been transformed into a shallow remake. However, most of the objection comes from the fact that none of the actors in the new movie have singing voices worthy of Broadway.

5. "Ghostbusters" (1984 vs. 2016)

The new "Ghostbusters" movie has received negative feedback for casting women as the leads. Unfortunately, the film itself is not impressive enough to overcome the anti-feminist backlash.

'

6. "The Terminator (1984 vs. 2015)

Images from Pinterest and IMDb

Old fans are devastated to find that the reboot to "Terminator" consists of way too many plot holes and cheesy lines to be worthy of its title.

7. "Hairspray" (1988 vs. 2007)

Despite the famous castings, many find this 2007 musical to be bland and unmemorable compared to the vivacity of the original work.

8. "Red Dawn" (1984 vs. 2012)

images from Counter Currents Publishing and IMDb

Not only are plot issues from the film irrelevant and outdated, but the new rendition also lacks the depth needed to make a serious war drama.

9. Friday the Thirteenth (1980 vs. 2009)

Images from and Movieweb and IMDb

The 2009 version of "Friday the Thirteenth" is said to be predictable and completely un-terrifying. Unfortunately, these two elements are required in order to make an adequate horror film.

10. "Clash of the Titans" (1981 vs. 2010)

It seems that most people agree that the scattered plot and unrealistic sets are far too horrendous to go unnoticed in this 2010 film adaption.

11. "Star Wars" (1980 vs. 2002)

Images from Dreamfilm and IMDb

Made in the early 2000s, the resurfaced trilogy is considered to be the worst in the series by the majority of the fan base.

12. "Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984 vs. 2010)

The lack of success for this 2010 film can probably be traced back to its inability to hold the darker themes and unsettling elements that the movie calls for.

13. "Mad Max" (1981 vs. 2015)

Images from Pinterest and IMDb

While critics’ reviews for the adapted film are generally positive, many say that the theme and tone are far too different from the original to hold its name.

14. "Blade Runner" (1982 vs. 2017)

Images from IMDb and Cineplex

This most recent 1980’s remake has actually received remarkable reviews that praise how well-made and profound the story is. Unfortunately, it was not as popular in the box office.

It seems as though every movie that comes out in theaters is a remake or sequel these days. Perhaps screenwriters should find other ways to honor these older-era films instead of spoiling the authenticity and nostalgia in the process. Some successful works, such as "Stranger Things," "Guardians of the Galaxy" or "Atomic Blonde" hold 1980s themes while still generating original storylines and characters.

However, it doesn't look like Hollywood will stop this trend as long as people continue to pay for these remade films. There is already news of a new "Indiana Jones," "Scarface" and many other 1980 flicks being regenerated. No movie is safe, so let’s hope that classics such as "The Breakfast Club," "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial," "The Princess Bride" and "Back to the Future" remain in the 1980s where they rightfully belong.