An Inside Look On Being An Orientation Leader at St. Joseph's University

An Experience I Will Never Forget

481

There is a thing at the end of orientation at St. Joe’s where we sit in a circle, sophomores on one side, next to them is juniors and next to juniors are seniors all going from “newbies” to “third years.”

This tradition is a time for us to reflect on our experience as orientation leaders and thank those who helped us along the way.

I have never been very good at talking about what I am thankful for, especially when I have a very brief time to do so. I sit, thinking in my head for a very long time trying to figure out what to say, how to reflect, and who to thank.

I decided since my speech was a little too brief and did not share thanks to those who truly deserve it I would write something out, something that would make everyone realize how truly fulfilling it is to be an orientation leader.

I have been trying to list things out in my head as to where to start and even started to write things down so I could organize them out into an efficient article but in reality, it is all just too much and I had to start writing before I lost all of the ideas I can’t stop thinking about.

Being a red shirt at St. Joe’s gives me a team that I never thought I would be a part of. It gave me a family larger than I ever thought I would have.

I applied to be a leader thinking I would never make it to the first round of interviews and even after the second, third and so on of interviews I was still unsure as to why I kept getting asked back.

Then I found out I was on the team and I was in shock. I did not think I belonged there. Being a leader was something I was so sure about pursuing ever since I experienced my freshmen orientation only a year ago.

But once I was on the team I was scared I was not going to fit in as much as I thought I was going to when I was a freshman watching people dance around and yell crazy chants.

However, this fear soon changed when I was welcomed onto the team so easily. The people who were already on the team were so generous. They knew who I was, they said hi to me when I walked past them on campus, and they checked up on me when I was going through something very difficult.

These people made me feel like I could be myself. I could also dance around and sing obnoxiously loud. I could also be weird and not be judged. I could wear a Winnie the pooh onesie to bowling and people would think I am cool and not weird… ok maybe not cool but they did think it was funny and didn’t judge me for it. I could find a place at St. Joe’s because of these people who were just like me and nothing like me all at once.

That is something else that I love about this team. That there are so many different people on the team and yet we are put together and make amazing connections.

We have varsity sports players, club sports players, and NARP’s. We have, sorority sisters, fraternity brothers and sisters, summer scholars, and lovers of service. We have those who love politics, those who love to write, those who like science, and those who love business.

The list goes on and on (front and back of a sheet of paper to be exact) of what this team holds in terms of differences but there is all one thing that we love and that is helping the freshmen feel like they found a home here at Hawk Hill.

That is why we are on this team to begin with. To welcome those who may be worried, scared, timid, or excited to go to St. Joe’s. We are there to give them resources, to help them transition, and let them know they have people there they can go to if they need it.

It is the most rewarding thing to help freshmen find their home. It was so rewarding to have them know that I am here to answer any of their questions and that even though I may have been yelling and making them slow dance with each other, I can also be serious and help them through things that are more difficult in their lives.

I was also once that shy freshmen that did not chant, did not dance, did not come out of her shell but that is why I wanted to be a leader. I wanted to let those who want to be themselves but are too scared to know that it is ok to be your true authentic self here at St. Joe’s. We are all weird in our own weird ways so why not be weird together.

It wasn’t until I became a leader that I decided to truly express myself and I am thankful that I finally have. But I don’t want it to take that long for others so I want to assure them that it is ok to be who you are.

I know that this program is there to help the freshmen but it really helped me too. Not only was it fulfilling to help the freshmen but I also have met so many new people that I don’t think I would have ever become friends with if it weren’t for this program.

I had an incredible roommate who made me laugh the hardest I ever have in a while. She was incredible and I can’t believe it took this long to meet her because we are almost the same person.

I got to become closer with someone who was always a boss to me but now I get to call a friend and who helped me through the process of becoming a leader on this team.

I made an amazing friend who was also a “newbie” that knew I could make it as a leader and knew I could be an amazing partner with her best friend.

I was given a nickname that only few people call me but now a whole group of people call me.

I was comforted by many who barely knew me. I was going through a challenging time when I was welcomed onto the team and they helped me realize what this team was about.

I was given a tradition, something that represents the team, and I get to do that tradition with someone that I never talked to but now will forever have a connection with.

I was given a group of people that will all be with me for the next 3 years and I am proud to be part of your “third year” group with you.

Lastly but certainly not least, I was given the most amazing partner that I could ever ask for. Ever since I wore that onesie to bowling and you talked to me, you made me feel like I would fit in on the team. I was scared no one would talk to me, no one would know who I was, but you went up to me without second guessing it. You accepted me, and my horrific bowling skills onto the team.

I told my friends that I wanted you as a partner ever since that night. You were the perfect person to help me in my newbie year and help make me as astounding of a leader as you are. You showed me the ropes, you helped me along, you were there for me if I ever needed it and you still are.

Ever since my name was called after yours and I got to jump into your arms I have felt so lucky to call myself your partner and be the last partner you have on the orientation team.

The people I have met, the memories I have made, the freshmen I have helped, and the experiences I have encountered are all things I will never forget.

So, thank you to everyone who accepted me as part of your team. Thank you to those who thought I could be part of something that is so important. Thank you to everyone who has been there to help me along the way, became my friends, helped me be weird and loud, allowed me to feel welcomed, and showed me what it means to be part of such an amazing team.

I am truly walking on sunshine.