Then I Opened My Eyes, And There He Was

Then I Opened My Eyes, And There He Was

I was never worthy of Christ, but I was never worthless to Christ!

19
Then I Opened My Eyes, And There He Was
Lance Price

There are many moments I would like to re-live. Certain ones that I wish could have lasted just a little longer. This was one of those moments. It was the song. It was the sound of 50,000 other people praising our God around me. It was my arms lifted as high as they would go, as if I could touch the Heavens if I just reached a little farther. It was my eyes shut with no intention of opening them ever again as long as the music kept playing. Because that would have ruined the closeness I felt with God in that moment. If I opened my eyes I wouldn’t be able to see Him there, even though it felt like he was. It was the stillness. The power. The devastating beauty of the cross.

Then I opened my eyes, and there He was, in the hearts of every person surrounding me. It gave me an overwhelmingly amount of hope. I am not alone. When it was all over we would go back to our different states and countries that we call home. And we, the 18-25 year olds of this world, were going to make history together. It gave me this excitement that although we are told the church is diminishing and that our generation is too broken, it is actually quite the opposite. God hasn’t given up on us. Despite the devil’s best efforts, sin has already been defeated. Despite what social media shows, God reigns. So it was in that moment of peace and clarity, when nothing mattered more than being right where I was. No worry about school, no fear of the future, no thoughts on boys or drama or celebrities, it was just me and God. It was what I pictured my eternity being like. Standing in Heaven with all these other Jesus loving freaks praising our Maker and knowing there is nothing else I could be doing that is more important.

And just like all great moments, it was over in the blink of an eye.

So now what? I don’t know about you, but when I have moments like that I cling on to them like a lifeline. It is my fuel for however long I can make it last. But I know that there will be difficult times. This cannot come as a surprise. The devil is going to tell me that there is no unity within my church, friend group, and family. That I am better off on my own. That I don’t have anyone to back me up. There are so many lies he will tell. He will hit every insecurity and weakness that I have.

We've gotta tell the devil to get outta our heads. We have to tell ourselves to shut up and allow God to take over our thoughts because this life is not about us and what we want and what we think. It is about the sacrifice Jesus made for us on that cross. It is ALL about God and his infinite love for us. So let’s get to living.

Ephesians 3:16-19 ~ I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Thank you, Passion 2017, for allowing me to be a part of making history together.