An Open Letter: To Worrying About the Things I Can't Change

An open letter dedicated to easing the fear of trying to change the things that can't be changed. Don't sweat the small stuff!

8

To Worrying About the Things I Can't Change:

Hey readers! I have been experiencing a setback when it comes to recognizing that it is better to change what you can than what you can't. I am referring to minor events in our lives and not serious or personal examples.

It can be hard to not fall back into this habit, moreover, worrying about things that are out of my control. Is there a similar instance that comes to mind for yourself? In my case, I do feel that it can be overcome with writing, praying, and digging deeper into the progress that I've already made.

These are moments in life where moving past old habits that hinder us today is essential for tomorrow's growth. It won't be easy, but I feel that anything is possible if you place your heart and mind into it.

I wanted to do some poetry this week, but I feel it best to challenge my readers to do this quick exercise when you have a minute to do so. Think of a time or event in which you worried about fixing or trying to find a solution to a problem that seemed daunting. How did you feel? Why were you worried? Did you think that maybe the problem would fair worse? Place yourself back into that particular instance.

Now that you have your memory at the forefront of your thoughts, think of this: If you could go back and change your approach, would you? Why or why not? It's ok if you wouldn't. Consider how you felt then and would feel now if the same situation presented itself to you again.

I know that may have seemed like a small and uneventful little exercise, but I think about these questions myself before I get too flustered. I consider if the particular moment is major or not, and then, I figure out if I can or cannot change what is happening.

We all have had at least one occurrence of feeling overwhelmed with something. I hope today's open letter (I realize I haven't done one in a while!) helps someone out there who is conflicted with, "old habits, die hard."

Encouragingly,

Jessica