An Open Letter To Upcoming High School Freshman

These next for years fly by faster than you think.

28
Cami Fissel

As you get ready for your 8th-grade graduation and the summer before your first year of high school begins, I know you feel to begin all grown up. You depend less on your parents and more on your friends to make decisions. You feel as though the person you are dating is going to be yours forever. You feel as though you have your life perfectly under control. But I also know you feel excited, nervous and a little bit scared about your upcoming transition. You're about to be a small fish in a big sea with a lot of decisions to be made. With all of these thoughts running through your mind, I hope you will keep a few words of advice close to your heart.

First and foremost, always stay true to who you are and what you believe in, even if it means that you will not always fit in. I know right now to you it is of great importance to fit in and become one with the "popular" crowd, but I urge you to never lose yourself in the process of doing that. You were made perfectly in his image, and that is something that no one will ever be able to take away from you. Embrace who you are and do not try to change yourself for anyone.

Once you feel comfortable and confident with who you are, you will notice that the people who are right for you will float into your life effortlessly and remain in it for many years to come. I know that peer pressure and bullying may become difficult to deal with, but I urge you to never let the opinions of others phase you. I know it may not feel like it at the moment, but whatever struggle you are going through will pass, and you will survive. Remember to always keep your chin up and your values close to your heart. As you grow into a young adult, remember to always take a moment and reflect on if who you want to ultimately become resembles who you are today.

Remember to stay true to who you are, but don't forget that there are memories to be made with your friends in the meantime. A lot of people say that high school can be some of the best years of your life, and they are not wrong about that. Being able to grow and enjoy simple things like being able to drive around alone with your friends for the first time, football games, your first real party, homecoming, spirit week, concerts, prom, college tours, sleepovers and so much more add up to some remarkable memories for years to come.

Enjoy exploring and living a simple life with your friends because that youth will be gone before you know it. Enjoy it and live it up because those four years go by faster than you think. Your high school friends will always hold a special place in your heart because they helped to shape you into the young adult you will be on your high school graduation day.

While you’re making some amazing memories, please don't forget about your grades because they will ultimately become very important. I know that we all have our days, but I urge you to strive to be your best in even the toughest situations. I know that all your classes will not be easy, but they definitely will be worth it.

Soak up every ounce of knowledge you can during your high school career because I promise you it will help to make the transition into college so much easier. Take advantage of all the easy classes and make the highest of grades, I promise you that it will help your GPA in the long run. Remember what you are really in high school for and never lose track of those goals. Having fun is important, but don't forget that your grades are just as important. They are able to determine parts of your future, so I urge you to please take them seriously.

My last word of advice is to live, laugh and love. This life is short so I urge you to live every day like it may be your last. Mend broken friendship, tell your family how much they mean and tell that person how you really feel about them. You never know when that opportunity may be taken away from you. Live every day like it’s your last and I promise you that your days will become much more peaceful.

Also, always remember to take the time to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine and it can help to mend many different emotions. Take a step back and remember the joy that laughter brings you and the way it makes you feel inside. That feeling can't be replaced very easily, so laugh while you can. Lastly, remember to love.

Love is the most powerful human emotion so always show it. Shower your friends, family members and loved ones with the type of love that they deserve. You never know the battles they may be facing, and your love may be able to change their lives. Love often, and the world will be a much better place. Love and be loved back, and I promise you that it will be the most rewarding experience in the world.

Enjoy the next four years of your life because they will fly by faster than you believe they will. Keep this advice close to your heart, and I promise you that the next four years will be full of some of the best experiences of your life.