An Open Letter To Teachers At The End Of The Year

An Open Letter To Teachers At The End Of The Year, From Your Students

It's all worth it. You are making a difference.

895

I can't imagine how hard you've worked this school year.

All of your hard work often goes unrecognized because "you get to leave work at 3 in the afternoon" and "you get summers off." I know you've heard that more times than you can count. People dismiss all that you do because you don't spend 40 hours a week at your job. But, I know how much you do. Girls like me, who are in school to become teachers, we look up to you. We know how hard you work. We appreciate everything that you do.

We are thankful for the example you have set for us. Your students are also thankful for you.

They may not always be obedient or respectful, but they do appreciate you, and if they don't now, they will one day. They'll look back on their elementary school days and be old enough to appreciate how much you did for them. They'll see how you put them first. They'll see that you made sacrifices for them. They'll see how much you cared. Because you do care.

You care more than they will ever understand.

You have invested so much into each one of your students. You've done your best to teach them all of the standards, plus life lessons. You plan activities and try your hardest to make learning fun. You spend your own money on classroom supplies. You spend countless hours grading and planning at home on your time off. Your job doesn't end when you go home. You may get to leave work at 3 in the afternoon, but you definitely don't stop working then.

Your students' needs will always come before your own.

You have students from all different home lives and backgrounds. Some of them have experienced more in their short life than you could ever imagine. Your heart is always heavy for these students, and you always go out of your way to help them however you can. You want your classroom to be a safe place. Regardless of what your students are facing outside of school, you want your classroom to be a place where they feel at peace and comfortable. You've worked hard all year to build trust and relationships with each one. They know they can come to you when they have a problem. They know you are there for them. They know you will listen. Sometimes, you're the only adult in their life that gives them attention and treats them like they are important. You make them feel special, and that's what makes your job worth it.

You are making a difference in their lives.

I'm sure one of the reasons you decided to become a teacher was so you could make a difference in the lives of your students. You're doing that. They need you. They won't forget you. It will be a total of 180 days that they've been in your class; you have left an impact on each one of them. I know you're drained. I know you're probably down to your last straw.

I know you need a break. But, don't give up.

Look at how far you have come. Look at the smiles on your students' faces. Look around your classroom and reassure yourself that you are exactly where you need to be, and doing what you were created to do.

You are changing lives. You are making a difference. What you're doing matters. So, as the school year comes to an end, make each day count. Even though you're tired, finish this year strong. You're doing a wonderful job. Your students look up to you. I look up to you. Education majors look up to you. Your dedication to your students is evident. We aspire to be teachers just like you.

Thank you for all that you do.

Thank you for educating the future leaders of our world. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely,

Every Single Person.